Filtration

Reaction score
I need help with a continuous running system. What are my options, can I leave it go through through the winter? I have a neighbor with a membrane pond, she has a submersible pump with a large cylindrical sponge filter element as her sole water circulator. Is that sufficient or can anyone suggest alternatives?
Also Algae control, is that a contradiction in terms. Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
In the winter here I just put my pump in a bucket and put lava rock ontop to help filter it .But last year I used a pond heater and placed it right over my pump and kept my filters running .I know there are lots of others since last winter was milder kept theres running up to a certain point .You can check out you tube for how to build things like filters made from totes .I doubled my totes up to make them stronger but not sure just how cold your winter will get .Stuff I used
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52791]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52790]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52795]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52793]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52794]

Reaction score
In Northern IL I wouldnt really suggest pumping water out of the pond during the Winter. It will make things colder than need be, and in all likleyhood, freeze solid. What I do in the Winter is turn off my big pump and I have a smaller one shooting water up, just below the surface of the water, so that it creates a dome of water just over the usual top of the pond. This keeps the top of the pond open with at least a 6" hole. You do not have to worry as much about filtration during the Winter because there are no leaves, pollen, etc and the fish should not be fed when the water temp gets below 55* or so, so the fish aren't producing much waste either. They go into a state somewhat like hybernation. Sorry, Im not even sure that answered the question.... hahaha

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know ce kept hers running for awhile with a pond heater or 2 .She did have a hose freeze up .I guess it really depends on the winter as last year was mostly a mild winter but it hung on for a long time also .2010 was my worst winter here .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have 2 waterfalls, a bio and a bog. I leave both run all year long. Never had a problem. Ice forms on the falls, but the water runs behind it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No I haven't. But the Koi hang out right where the pump is. Weird. I think your winters are more severe than ours. Plus with the fence on one side of our pond and a covered patio on the other, they are kind of blocked from wind and snow drifts.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Old school thinking is that all you need to do is degas the water. An airstone is all you need to keep the water moving and a hole open in the ice.

The question that should have been asked is how deep is your pond ?

Reaction score
About 3 ft deep , it's a livestock trough I buried in the ground. Dealing with 125 gals of pea soup at the moment. Will not connect my smaller upper pond by a water fall until water clears in lower.

Reaction score
Once you geT a pump going in the trough you can use quilt batting in a basket the clear the water up faster, that is if you want to attach them before winter gets here :( Bleh! YES! I SAID THE W WORD! Sorry folks lol

Reaction score
I am using livestock troughs. Upper sitting above grond 25/30 gal I have worked with for several seasons to see how local critters deal with it. It has a fuctioning statue in it, Half covered with floating plants. External 3 stage filtration for now. Its fuctionaing perfectly and will be used for the water fall when lower 125 gal buried trough stabilizes. Lower tank Oval approx 34 inches deep. About 15 small comets to start system and surface about 1/3 covered with plants. Heavy airation, and for now, small external 3 stage filter.
Once large tank clears, pea soup now, I will connect troughs through a water fall. Tanks get sunlight direct about 4 hours mid day.
Thanks all for any input.

Ask a Question