Finally starting my pond.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
So the best price I could find for a Firestone 45mil liner 20’x15’ is $380 shipped with tax. They said they would do a liner and underlayment package for $420 shipped with tax. This is the cheapest I have found this far. The liner is Firestone brand, I’m assuming there are many different companies who make liners.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So the best price I could find for a Firestone 45mil liner 20’x15’ is $380 shipped with tax. They said they would do a liner and underlayment package for $420 shipped with tax. This is the cheapest I have found this far. The liner is Firestone brand, I’m assuming there are many different companies who make liners.
Did you look on Amazon? You could also look at your local roofing companies as they sell it from big rolls. Not sure if they sell 15' wide tho. Also irrigation companies sell it. I got both of mine at those places a long time ago. Just used a garden hose to spray off the powder coating. All went well!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check justliners.com. And not all underlayment is created equal 5 mil or less is standard landscaping stuff which is generally ok for sandy soils with a few round rocks.

8 mil is far superior and can give a much safer base for the liner.

And if you have shale or lots of trees roots etc 12mil is crazy tough stuff

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah Justpondliners is the place that quoted me at the $380.00. They are far cheaper than many others I have found.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And when i received damaged liners FROM SHIPPING COMPANY . they shipped out THE REPLACEMENT IMEDIATELY

Reaction score
Country
United States
So what’s the best way to check a new liner? Any special techniques? Or just carefully and thoroughly look it over?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
While we all look for the best price, just a word to remind all new pond builders - the one thing you don't want to cheap out on is the first thing that goes into the pond. Because if something happens, it's going to be a big old pain to reverse the whole process and get it out again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Started digging today!! The ground is incredibly hard….we have not had rain in several weeks. I will be able to get the top layer off, then I will have to rent a Jack hammer with the spade attachment to break up the dirt. I am running into quite a few roots as expected. I found a good place for sand stone rock, the rock is very durable and does not break away wen tested. I have a new 15’x20’ Firestone pond liner and underlayment being delivered later this week.

Attachments

• 3A4CAE0E-C44B-40B4-82DA-418886DE7C7D.jpeg
    3A4CAE0E-C44B-40B4-82DA-418886DE7C7D.jpeg
    445.7 KB · Views: 10
  • C904F1A2-95D3-4ADC-AEBC-8267A162EB96.jpeg
    C904F1A2-95D3-4ADC-AEBC-8267A162EB96.jpeg
    484.2 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Started digging today!! The ground is incredibly hard….we have not had rain in several weeks. I will be able to get the top layer off, then I will have to rent a Jack hammer with the spade attachment to break up the dirt. I am running into quite a few roots as expected. I found a good place for sand stone rock, the rock is very durable and does not break away wen tested. I have a new 15’x20’ Firestone pond liner and underlayment being delivered later this week.
Fair warning the liner is heavy, just put my liner in yesterday, it was 25 x 35. Also made the mistake of rolling it off the wrong side of the pond, so when it rolled off realized the liner had to pivot, not easy to do with that size lol. But once that was straightened out it was not bad to work with and very happy I had my measurements right and plenty of extra to play with.
Wish I could send you some of the rocks I dug up for my project, ridiculous amount, we all have challenges whether it is hard clay or rocky soil, thank god I had my Kubota but still took a long time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haha, that was the only way this project could be done, love my kubota. If you were in the neighborhood more than welcome to use it. Believe me, my neighbor loves that I bought one, lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any piece of equipment is better than none. Look at cw. That guy had all the luck he has a 8000 or a 12000 lb machine for as long as he needed it. My rentals were by far the most expensive part of my project.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any piece of equipment is better than none. Look at cw. That guy had all the luck he has a 8000 or a 12000 lb machine for as long as he needed it. My rentals were by far the most expensive part of my project.
The tractor was a lifesaver, but I would not have even attempted the project if I did not have it. High respect for the people that hand dig, that is not easy under any circumstance. Having the tractor definitely opened up possibilities and certainly if I did not have it I would have had a big problem getting the liner off the delivery truck, no lift gate on the truck and even then that tested the lifting limits of the tractor.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It can be done, my son and I were using the pick axe and the mattock for a good 15 minutes. We made some pretty good progress in that time. I will continue to pick away at it, I did reach out to a guy who does excavating. I’m waiting to see what he would charge to use his small digger to get me to the 3ft depth. I can rent a 1 ton digger for 4hrs for $250. I’ve never used one before so, not sure how that will go….lol

Ask a Question