j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well thanks to addy I now have a bunch of new tadpoles to watch turn into frogs. She was so nice to ship some to me. It was a nail biting event for awhile there. The P.O said it would only take 3 days to get them from her town to mine but 3 days came and went and then 4 and I thought if they don't come soon they would be goners but HOORAY!!!!! today they came on the 5th day and all made it safely except maybe 3. I think the postal workers must play basketball w/ the boxes. Here's some pics...........1st had a rubbermaid container ready for them and let them have some food and then after a while into one of the floating plant rings in the pond w/ not too many plants in it but lots of algae they found to eat on the sides of the screen. Happy I am :LOL:

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah! so glad they got there, to your nice happy/pretty/wet pond!

Reaction score
Cool~! Multi use for the plant ring, turning it into a nursery :) Wish I could have frogs here, but, worried that the dogs would eat them. Yuck~! I'll just watch yours grow :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mama frog sat and watched me take out the tads, they came from our lotus pond, still have a ton in it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Went out today to check on them and man they sure do blend in w/ the bottom of the black screen and algae. Most of them hang out on the bottom under the plants. They have little baby fish buddies in there w/ them. Every once in awhile you see them dart frantically to another spot to graze on the algae.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey addy do you have a picture of the ma ma frog or is it the one in your avatar?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Addy
You might post the process for shipping so others will know the process. Shipping live critters and them getting there safe is an art that many may not know. I have been reluctant to ship koi for that reason.

Reaction score
Glad to see they made it. The 1st year I had my pond I musta had 1000 tads. By the time they were done my liner looked like it was just installed. Not a scrap of algea to be seen.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are cleaners in the pond but the clogged up my filters there were so many .I had to catch them and take them down to the creek and release them

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey addy do you have a picture of the ma ma frog or is it the one in your avatar?

I will get you a picture jw, the av is a tree frog not from our area

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy
You might post the process for shipping so others will know the process. Shipping live critters and them getting there safe is an art that many may not know. I have been reluctant to ship koi for that reason.

Well tads are probably a little easier than koi to ship.

Two 2.5 gallon zip lock bags, each with tads, maybe 1/4 water, as much air fluffed in bag as possible. I taped the zip shut to try and make sure the bags did not leak.

One of those refreeze packs frozen wrapped in foil bubble wrap put in the box to attempt to keep them a little cooler.

I lined the box with the foil bubble wrap, made a box out of the foil bubble, just taped it down, taped the cardboard box shut and sent it priority mail. If I had been shipping fish, I would have sent it over night.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just hope they stay here in my pond and don't head for the neighbors big pond across the road. I might have to put ear plugs in their little ears so they can't hear them singing over there, lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our bug population has decreased, love my frogs, toads and birds.

hope so to jw! gooooood luck

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Addy saw one of your tads eating on the edge of the pond. It's getting bigger. Had to be one of yours cuz the others I have now are in the small plant ring. Yours are the ones that got tipped out when I was looking to see if they were still there and they won't allow you to take their pix, lol!
Here's one in the plant ring that could be the one that stayed in there and didn't get tipped out or one from the neighbor up the road. I can't tell the difference yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 246

Ask a Question