Fat Bahstads

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
As always I'm flummoxed. I think it's a permanent state that I exist in. For those of you not familiar, flummoxed is somewhere between completely lost and slightly confused.
Anyway, I have been gone visiting family for the week and the hubby has been great in helping me take care of the pond...
Or so I thought...
I have been feeding them sparingly, only in the morning and not much. I was under the impression that the more you feed, the more they poop, adding gunk in the water.
Also the more you feed, the more they will spawn since... You know, they've got time for that sort of thing since they aren't foraging for food.
My hubby disagrees and has fed them 1/2 of a bottle of fish food in 1 week. (To put it in perspective, I've had them over a month and used less than 1/4). He says it doesn't matter how much you feed or don't feed, they are going to poop and well the other thing. And they are getting fat!
So... Tell me I'm right.
Or just keep scrolling... (hehe)
I really am trying to limit babies and obviously a septic pond so a clarity check here would be great...
Also please be patient, I'm back in school, trying to get caught up at work, and well busy, so if I don't respond right away, I will eventually.
Thanks all!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well based on my pond only, I feed maybe two times a week, maybe, sometimes not at all. The fish are fat, healthy, happy, they munch on any algae that dares grow, the aracharnis, and anything else that grows. I feed only once a day and small amounts, pellets. I try to feed more going into winter to give them some winter fat.

I have fry, lots of fry this years, I do not feed them at all when they are spawning. I want them to eat up the eggs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm with Maria on that too much can lead to all sorts of problems , its what you feed when you feed and how you feed .
I think its time you bought a few books for your other half to read, this should keep him bust for a while

The Manual of Fish Health ISBN 0861013869. Dr Chris Andrews Adrian Exell, Dr Neville Carrington.

Alternatively you could buy him a book called War and Peace . Leo Tolstoy
As to feeding your fish as much as they will eat in 5 minutes three to four times daily

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Tell anyone that wants to feed your pond that they are then also responsible for removing phosphorus.
Let them google that for a while, then ask them if they still want to feed the pond.:)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, over feeding leads to all kinds of problems, like Maria said! Once, when I was at a summer camp, and left Hubby & Son in charge of fish care, I took a few little zip-locks, the snack size ones, and doled out how much food to feed per day, etc. At the time, I also had a tote with fry. Labeled them for day of the week, AM or PM feeding, etc. worked well. Those little weekly pill containers would work, too, as long as your hubby didn't decide to dump a whole weeks worth in, LOL! Men! Gotta love 'em :love:o_O

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I feed mine daily. Just enough where they eat for about 3 minutes and it gets them active for the day. I also feed them peas about once a week. I don't know how goldfish are in general but mine only have one breeding session each year. It may last a couple days, maybe three, and then they're done for the year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My husband is surprised how little I feed my fish. I was away for a long week end and told him exactly how much to feed them and told him if he forgot to feed them, that was better then feeding them too much!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As always I'm flummoxed. I think it's a permanent state that I exist in. For those of you not familiar, flummoxed is somewhere between completely lost and slightly confused.
Anyway, I have been gone visiting family for the week and the hubby has been great in helping me take care of the pond...
Or so I thought...
I have been feeding them sparingly, only in the morning and not much. I was under the impression that the more you feed, the more they poop, adding gunk in the water.
Also the more you feed, the more they will spawn since... You know, they've got time for that sort of thing since they aren't foraging for food.
My hubby disagrees and has fed them 1/2 of a bottle of fish food in 1 week. (To put it in perspective, I've had them over a month and used less than 1/4). He says it doesn't matter how much you feed or don't feed, they are going to poop and well the other thing. And they are getting fat!
So... Tell me I'm right.
Or just keep scrolling... (hehe)
I really am trying to limit babies and obviously a septic pond so a clarity check here would be great...
Also please be patient, I'm back in school, trying to get caught up at work, and well busy, so if I don't respond right away, I will eventually.
Thanks all!

One small fact that I think that your husband will understand. The digestive systems of many fish, in particular Koi and Goldfish, are only about 15% efficient. This means that 85% of what they eat passes through their digestive tract and is expelled only partially digested. Only if they were to re-eat this food 5 or 6 more times would the initial feeding be completely digested. Alll the while the digested food is turned into poop. So, yes, feeding them more will increase not only the level fish poop in the water column, but also the level of partially digested food which is fair game for bacteria, fungi and other aquatic micro-organisms to break down into Ammonia, Carbon and Phosphorus.
There is much truth in the saying that you never really feed your fish, you feed your pond.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
One small fact that I think that your husband will understand. The digestive systems of many fish, in particular Koi and Goldfish, are only about 15% efficient. This means that 85% of what they eat passes through their digestive tract and is expelled only partially digested. Only if they were to re-eat this food 5 or 6 more times would the initial feeding be completely digested. Alll the while the digested food is turned into poop. So, yes, feeding them more will increase not only the level fish poop in the water column, but also the level of partially digested food which is fair game for bacteria, fungi and other aquatic micro-organisms to break down into Ammonia, Carbon and Phosphorus.
There is much truth in the saying that you never really feed your fish, you feed your pond.
However you parse it, it sounds like a load of crap, Meyer. :poop:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know how goldfish are in general but mine only have one breeding session each year. It may last a couple days, maybe three, and then they're done for the year.
geez, mine spawned for months this summer. They never stopped chasing, even now I see tiny fry 1/4 inch or so in size.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You guys are awesome!
Glad to see you back :)
Thanks Maria, it's going to be crazy here this semester... Lol
I try to feed more going into winter to give them some winter fat.
Do I have to worry about that since we don't freeze?
I think its time you bought a few books for your other half to read, this should keep him bust for a while
Since we won't listen, I have less of a reason to think he'll read. Besides, that's what I have YOU for Dave.. Hehe :whistle::D
Tell anyone that wants to feed your pond that they are then also responsible for removing phosphorus.
Sadly he is now scooping the pond. Brat anticipated that response already..
I feed mine daily. Just enough where they eat for about 3 minutes and it gets them active for the day.
That's what I have been doing. He does the same just in larger handfuls. The lilies grew like crazy though the week I was gone.
My husband is surprised how little I feed my fish.
He says I'm mean.. LOL
I'm going to have to remember that, I like that saying
However you parse it, it sounds like a load of crap, Meyer. :poop:
Hahahaha Red, truth!
I been feeding a coffee can full a week
YOU'RE NOT HELPING... Lol

Thanks guys for the awesome response, you reinforced what I have learned on the forum but it's always nice to clarity check.
Now to convince him. Or find a great hiding spot for the food.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I watch them eat all winter via the cameras. There is aracharnis in the pond for them, lillies, hornwort and whatever else is there.

Ask a Question