cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
All I can say is ‘WOW’.

I was sitting at the computer when I saw a large bird fly past the patio doors and right into my pond with a splash. I don’t know my birds really well and he didn’t stay in the pond very long for me to get a good look, but I think it was a hawk.

The pond has netting over it, but the hawk pulled the netting stakes out of the ground when it went into the water. The net prevented him from taking off with a fish, but I don’t know if it’s talons injured any of them. I went outside to check, but the fish are staying at the bottom of the pond right now. Fingers crossed the net surprised him and he didn’t get hold of any of the fish.

2023-6-12 kitchen.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe the bird has learned and won't do it again. Hope it didn't hurt your fish! Would be awful if it got tangled up in the net. Guess you would have to call wildlife people to come and get it out as those talons are sharp and so is the beak.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Maybe the bird has learned and won't do it again. Hope it didn't hurt your fish! Would be awful if it got tangled up in the net. Guess you would have to call wildlife people to come and get it out as those talons are sharp and so is the beak.
Exactly what I was thinking j.w....What a nightmare it would be if the hawk became entangled in the netting. I had an awful experience with a snake getting tangled in my daughters garden netting...seemed to take forever to cut him out safely....we wound up getting rid of it all...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nothing ever gets caught in mine but it is high up on stakes and also has wide weave holes. Maybe easier for them to see the wide hole type. I can hardly see @cas 's netting. If a bird ever did crash into mine tho I would have a problem if it got tangled!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
After the episode I also was wondering what I would have done if the bird got tangled in the net. Ugh. Thank goodness some of the ground staples held and the net didn't prevent the bird from taking off.

There have been many hawks over the years surveying my pond from the surrounding rooftops and trees but this is the first one to attempt going after the fish. I hope he learned his lesson and is spreading the word!

I assume that the hawk would have tried to catch the fish while in flight. Does anyone know? This one actually landed in the pond with a splash. The net is raised from the water about 24 inches and maybe that prevented the birds continuous flight?

The good news is the fish finally came up to the surface and I could see no injuries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would also suspect that a hawk might see a snake in the water and find it appealing too...any chance one of them was in the water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I see your pond a nice accent to your yard and say . That would be so easy to maintain.

Replaced the stairs 4x4 posts and rails leading to the pond with Easten red cedar trees and rails

Ask a Question