Next Day Koi KHV

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sad news today, I had ordered some fish from Next Day Koi a couple of weeks ago to be delivered tomorrow. Just got an email from them that they have to cancel all pending orders due to finding Koi Herpes Virus (KHV) in their recirculating system. Must be devastating for them, sorry to see this happen to a small business. It seems like they are being very proactive and reaching out to customers who have had deliveries since April 15. Hope things work out for them, they said it could be a few weeks.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sounds like you avoided some possible trouble in a nick of time. Seems like quite a few people come to the forum looking for info on what may be the same. Some good info on KHV from their FAQ:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, although I only have 4 small goldfish at the moment since I just finished my pond last Fall. For people that have many fish this must be stressful. Terrible time for the business, Spring is their time to sell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fyi, Blue Ridge Koi has the same issue, they are not shipping anything right now

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Blue ridge and Next day i have seen that they are one and the same. BUT very glad to hear you dodged a bullet there. IF YOU GET THAT VIRUS IN YOUR POND You'd have to shut it down from what i know i don't believe there is an affective medication to kill the virus without killing every thing. I have my last fish from the winters ordering coming tomorrow. 9 yes 9 fish have already arrived last weekend. But i got mine from Koi MARKET. Not cheap by any means though every now and then you can get a deal. but they have higher quality fish then most but the main attraction is Shawn is a bit crazed with the quarantine regiment that they do. When i started my pond i did get a few from next day koi but as the pond and the fish quality grew the less i was willing to risk fish coming from some of the more inexpensive suppliers. This khv is nasty even top breeders can get bt from it years ago Kodama had to close a store location because of it, at least thats what i heard . no one likes to let the rabbit out of the hat.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kq1HhX6PDKk&si=vugGH-BvZI20kb3t
New fish may 2024.jpg
thumbnail_New fish may 2024 2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Blue ridge and Next day i have seen that they are one and the same. BUT very glad to hear you dodged a bullet there. IF YOU GET THAT VIRUS IN YOUR POND You'd have to shut it down from what i know i don't believe there is an affective medication to kill the virus without killing every thing. I have my last fish from the winters ordering coming tomorrow. 9 yes 9 fish have already arrived last weekend. But i got mine from Koi MARKET. Not cheap by any means though every now and then you can get a deal. but they have higher quality fish then most but the main attraction is Shawn is a bit crazed with the quarantine regiment that they do. When i started my pond i did get a few from next day koi but as the pond and the fish quality grew the less i was willing to risk fish coming from some of the more inexpensive suppliers. This khv is nasty even top breeders can get bt from it years ago Kodama had to close a store location because of it, at least thats what i heard . no one likes to let the rabbit out of the hat.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kq1HhX6PDKk&si=vugGH-BvZI20kb3tView attachment 163300View attachment 163301
That makes sense now, the two sites looked very similar. From what they posted you are correct it is very nasty, cannot be treated and basically you have to bomb your pond with bleach. Yikes. If it can happen at a place like NDK that is testing all the time you have to wonder about the smaller places that just do this on the side, how careful are they?
Those are gorgeous koi you got, the three in the container are spectacular.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IF I HAD TO TRY TO BLEECH EVERY MILK AND CRANNY OF MY POND I WOULD BE SCREWED . it could never be accomplished. IF i was to raise the salt content i'd imagine that would kill it but it would be almost impossible to to lower the salt to a fresh water pond. I'd bet it would take a year and be rather costly. But if someone like NDK has an issue with it i'd avoid any additions to my pond for the for the foreseeable future. Give the industry a chance to test there stock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IF I HAD TO TRY TO BLEECH EVERY MILK AND CRANNY OF MY POND I WOULD BE SCREWED . it could never be accomplished. IF i was to raise the salt content i'd imagine that would kill it but it would be almost impossible to to lower the salt to a fresh water pond. I'd bet it would take a year and be rather costly. But if someone like NDK has an issue with it i'd avoid any additions to my pond for the for the foreseeable future. Give the industry a chance to test there stock.
Did not take Kloubec long to have a popup message on their website saying they are proudly KHV free. Tough business, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
KHV is why I never added new fish to our pond. Our four had been together for over a decade with no new comers and I didn't have a proper long term QT set up.

Sad to hear it's till out there :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did not take Kloubec long to have a popup message on their website saying they are proudly KHV free. Tough business, lol.
i've never seen anything on their site i was interested in but then again i didn't keep a close eye on them either

Last edited:

Ask a Question