First home, first pond.. water is dirty!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I noticed a huge reduction in mosquitos outside.
They must have had breeding spots in the filters and muck. I hardly ever see a mosquito, even with all the water we have around.

Glad it is all improving for you!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Lemon grass and marigolds help with mosquito control .I have lemon grass growing in my upper pond and it smells so great when you rub against it or rub your hands with it .I know i had to watch my lotus lily pond even though I had an aerator in there they still tried to sneak in .With all the frogs and toads around here you would think they did not have a chance .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think your skippys were not been maintained by the previous owner and were clogged with muck, resulting in poor filtration.

I'm so happy for you that things are improving and you're enjoying the pond :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
First part of the video looks like spawning activity :) How many koi do you think you have? Things are looking good, despite the mudslides :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
First part of the video looks like spawning activity :) How many koi do you think you have? Things are looking good, despite the mudslides :)

I count about a dozen. Not sure about any little ones hiding but they run up to me like a stampede during afternoon hours like today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
They are beautiful!! I posted a few pics I took this morning in the thread " What Does Your Pond Look Like Today?"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
image.jpg
Since I removed most of the vegetation around the pond I made a little cave for my aerator.. There's enough space on the sides to take air in and I wanted to protect it a little from the rain. Does this look ok or am I being overly ambitious?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great idea for your aerator, it looks good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for your advice with my noob pond self. The filter is working great and i can see the koi well now! Took about a month and a half but I survived. Will definitely come back for questions when the weather gets a little cooler since I live in PA.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question