First home, first pond.. water is dirty!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to dash your hopes... but you might find that's your inlet from your pond :). Some very good advice given earlier was go slowly so even if it transpires to be a watering can or bucket scoop job, you don't need to kill yourself trying to get it all out on the same day :). Another approach would also be to see how the tube from the second of these tubs feeds to your waterfall - ie is there a way of temporarily moving that waterfall tube so that rather than going out to the waterfall, you point it at your plants, then switch on the pump.

Ie completely switch off pump, move outlet waterfall tube to plants, dislodge the gunk, turn pump on again, pump puts water through tubs, dirty water comes out through waterfall tube but ends up in the plants because you cunningly moved the waterfall tube to come out there rather than the waterfall. Dirty goop ends up in plants with minimum effort because pump is doing the work, 20 minutes later the goop filled water emerging from the tube is clear again so switch off pump, put outlet tube into waterfall again where it was in the first place, and let the whole thing run again.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think this is her inlet

s.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
Cool, looks like you're right, sounds like she's sorted then :) Wonder what that white tube at the top is, maybe that's piping connected to the bottom outlet :confused: You have to say that the previous owner looks like he/she certainly put quite a bit of work into this...

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is an open tube, so I am not sure, over flow? air? don't know lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cool, looks like you're right, sounds like she's sorted then :) Wonder what that white tube at the top is, maybe that's piping connected to the bottom outlet :confused: You have to say that the previous owner looks like he/she certainly put quite a bit of work into this...
look here you can see the inlet heading to the bottom of the tub

g.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
That drain bottom is there and unused. It's close to the wall though. I need to figure out how to drain the goop without making an explosive mess loosening that plug! :wtf:

I feel a little more relieved though. The previous owner isn't answering so I think I am on my own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
Any tips after popping open a stock tank plug? Is the force going to be manageable or am I basically dealing with a fire hydrant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmmm nope, never had that problem, sorry :(. Someone else might be able to chime in. I'd be tempted to let it out through a waterfall outlet if that tube can be moved to pour out into the plants myself... just so you don't have to undo and try and redo stuff. But that's purely a guess, would depend on the bottom outlet etc, sorry :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hoorah for bottom drains :) Get a length of hose that reaches where you want the waste water to go. I bet you'll find there's some type of "media" in the tank....sponges, scrubbies, gravel....something. Keep us posted!

Edited to address your post. Hopefully you can get a hose fitting onto the bottom drain. If the pumps are off, you should only have about 70 gallons , or less, draining.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Can you use a tarp ,shower curtain, something to direct the water away from the house?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
Now I'm wishing I had a really long spatula. LOL.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check around make sure there is no other bottom drain hiding from you. I still think they would have had a drain in it. Also you could go get a cheap sump pump and pump the tank dry.

Ask a Question