First home, first pond.. water is dirty!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And what area are you from that also makes a difference.

Nice looking ponds btw

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
Take lots of pictures and post. There are a zillion types of filters/pumps. I have a bog for filtration which uses plants as a filter but it doesn't sound like a bog unless there is gravel in it. It may have had a filter media in it. Don't gut what you have until you know that it isn't working, it may just need to be "reset", ie, cleaned out or maintained.
I was the same way when I started so don't worry, ask lots of questions and we will help as much as we can.
Also, do you have a water test kit? I am anticipating some of the questions that will come your way. If you don't, you should get a quality water test kit, (not the strips) and do a water test to find out where your water is now.

I'm so happy to find this forum! I was starting to have trouble sleeping from worrying about the pond! I have ordered a water test kit that should come in about 2 days. Will take some more pictures in the afternoon of what I am dealing with. I appreciate all your advice!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm so happy to find this forum! I was starting to have trouble sleeping from worrying about the pond! I have ordered a water test kit that should come in about 2 days. Will take some more pictures in the afternoon of what I am dealing with. I appreciate all your advice!
You can take a water sample to a fish place and they can test it for you as well.
You really do have some pretty ponds there! It might take some time and a steep learning curve but I think it's worth every second I spend outside near my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
It's set up right side the master bedroom so it's a great view. I'm all for the sound of a waterfall at night!

You can take a water sample to a fish place and they can test it for you as well.
You really do have some pretty ponds there! It might take some time and a steep learning curve but I think it's worth every second I spend outside near my pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome!

All god advice you got already. I just want to add my 2 cents :)

When you clean out the filter (take what inside the tank out and rinse it) rinse them in de-chlorinate water. OR, I normally just rinse in a bucket filled with pond water itself. And when you do a water change, dont forget to add some de-chlorine for new water too (unless you have well water)

If you drain the pond, dont scrub the liner too hard or you will lose beneficial bacteria that's already established there and will have to start over :)

Good luck! you have pretty pond there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
Welcome!

All god advice you got already. I just want to add my 2 cents :)

When you clean out the filter (take what inside the tank out and rinse it) rinse them in de-chlorinate water. OR, I normally just rinse in a bucket filled with pond water itself. And when you do a water change, dont forget to add some de-chlorine for new water too (unless you have well water)

If you drain the pond, dont scrub the liner too hard or you will lose beneficial bacteria that's already established there and will have to start over :)

Good luck! you have pretty pond there.

Oh I won't be draining the pond. Those koi are like 15 pounders. HUGE. I'd be lucky to even grab one without falling into the deep end. I'm only 5 feet tall. Pond is 4. LOL.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh I won't be draining the pond. Those koi are like 15 pounders. HUGE. I'd be lucky to even grab one without falling into the deep end. I'm only 5 feet tall. Pond is 4. LOL.
lol :) wow, those are huge fish. yea, they are going nowhere!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
15 pounders - that probably explains your problem :). Huge fish = huge waste = huge algae. Small fish become huge fish, and the filtration that might have been adequate when they were small might no longer be up to the job... together with maybe a bit of overdue filter 'maintenance'. Test it's not just maintenance needed first though :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
15 pounders - that probably explains your problem :). Huge fish = huge waste = huge algae. Small fish become huge fish, and the filtration that might have been adequate when they were small might no longer be up to the job... together with maybe a bit of overdue filter 'maintenance'. Test it's not just maintenance needed first though :)
I believe their biggest koi inherited the name Moby (like the whale) so that explains a bit of my current situation!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
Don't let Moby become your white whale then :). I'm surprised the previous owner didn't give you some instructions on how they're fed?

Fwiw, inheriting a Koi pond is about the steepest learning curve in terms of pond maintenance, but don't let that put you off, it's all perfectly doable but you just have to get your processes right. So bottom line there's a pump somewhere in your pond, this sucks in the dirty water which goes into the two barrels (google skippy filter) to filter out the waste, also passes over a UV light, and finally puts the water back in through a waterfall. The two barrels use various means to trap the bad waste (google mechanical filter and biological filter), and there are good bacteria (google nitrobacter) in there that then eat the waste and turn it into something more benign (google ammonia, nitrate, nitrite cycle ponds). Some plants are notoriously good at consuming the bad waste (ie reeds, rushes, watercress) so that's why the previous owner recommended them in the filter.

Algae come in various varieties (google suspended algae, string algae), yours looks like suspended and ultraviolet radiation kills it. But you need to replace the UV bulb in your UV unit every year or so, the phosphorous coat inside the bulb wears out after c. 12 months - I'd go ahead and just replace that to be safe first. Check it's even on, maybe it was switched off in the housemove. That'll start dealing with algae but as long as your fish are pooping and the filter is full you still have more coming in, so you'll need to deal with that too. There are products you can buy to bind your algae and make it drop to the bottom, I've used them once years ago and indeed they do do just that but then the dead algae drops to the bottom and you'll still want to clear that out.

Lastly you say you have a bubbling thing, that maybe aeration. Google koi airstone - that'll be something at the bottom that just makes bubbles to increase the oxygen level. Fish like oxygen in the water and aeration makes the water circulate so it can pick up oxygen molecules everytime the water is at the surface. The bubbles don't add the oxygen, the rotation of the water does.

Anyhow enough of the soliloquy, hopefully that's given you a direction - next is pictures pictures pictures... good luck :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
Alright folks. Here's what I mustered.. The pump is submerged in the bottom of pond. Found that. I don't believe there is a UV light clarifier anywhere though. The barrels smell like bad eggs too.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
My thoughts are:
1. Once you get the test kit, test the water and post the results up here.
2. The color of the water is not important - clear does not always equal healthy. I struggle with green water on occasion too. If the fish are happy and healthy that's all that matters.
3. How big is the goldfish pond?
4. You are not failing at ponding. Green water is not a bad thing. I know you want it clear, but its not hurting anything.
5. If the water is healthy, deal with your move and then worry about the ponds.

Hope that helps you sleep!

Ask a Question