First lilies of the season

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Stick a rock on the tuber, I have to do that when I groom mine.

The fish love to swim through them, I watch them do it all of the time on the cam

Yes they do. I put the ones I got from you in a corner after they kept uprooting them. So far, so good. I have quite a few pads up.

Reaction score
hi, does anyone have any ideas on how to keep the koi from destroying their lilies. I really want to have them but the are constantly breaking the leaves and flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Work gets in the way of so many things! I came home for lunch today and no lily. So I think it's too soon. My lily bud is a little higher so I m thinking it will be very soon.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are usually open from 8 or so in am to 3 in pm, if it is a cloudy day they close faster. and sometimes do not open at all

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ah Keith you are lucky you live close enough to come home for lunch and see your pond plants. If your wife is there too you better pay some attention to her...........at least say hi before you run to the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Onemean, I have one plant in my koi pond that keeps getting beaten up. Not sure if the fish are eating or picking at it or what. They seem to leave my lilies alone, but this plant is from a lake, and I think it's a wild lotus, but still have not seen a bud open, think the fish demolish it before it can open. Going to move it to the goldfish pond and see if it does better there. I agree with Addy, put flat rocks on top of the tuber to hold it down in the clay. If the fish are mating, that will stop in the next month or so, and the lilies should recover and do better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh it finally showed up!
IMG_20140618_093139_619.jpg
. JW. My office is actually 3 blocks from my house now so it's really easy to come home for lunch. The only bad thing is I totally lost my excuse that traffic was bad when I got home late. There are only two routes home and worse case scenario it takes me an extra minute when traffic is bad! Yea it's funny that we see each other in the middle of the day sometimes. She has a lot to say typically but I can't hang around long because I have too much to do. The other day she made a great salad for lunch and invited a friend over but I had already bought a subway sandwich and missed out. Somehow it was my fault that I didn't think to ask if she was making lunch, but I heard they sat by the pond for lunch and watched the frogs so I earned brownie points that day anyway!

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lucky you w/ your job so close. Saves a lot on gas too! I think your wife really loves that pond and yes you are doing great on getting the brownie points built up. She might start giving you idea's on what you might do to the pond................she might even want her own pond :D

Ask a Question