First lilies of the season

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Finally the first lilies of the season with a few of the fish. The new yellow and white koi is in the upper right corner of the photo

Taken with the iPhone

image.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are finally opening, been so slow this year great shot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Geez, You even take good pictures with your phone! lol

I got a late start with planting my lilies so not much going on just a few pads at the surface. I had a few somehow get out of their pots and float to the top of the pond.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very cool! I just spotted flower buds on two of mine, I can't wait since I didn't have any last year.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No buds on mine but I did unplant them this year in Spring from their kitty litter pots and letting them do bare root so it might take awhile for them to get going w/ buds. Even if I don't get one bud this year I'm still going to stick w/ the bare root through next season to see if they ever take off.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Geez, You even take good pictures with your phone! lol

I got a late start with planting my lilies so not much going on just a few pads at the surface. I had a few somehow get out of their pots and float to the top of the pond.
Thanks. The lilies can easy float out of the pot when newly planted until the roots grab hold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Most of mine are old and rooted pretty good. The ones Addy sent me, I've had to repot a few times. The fish do root through them or even swimming through the stems can make them come out. They will get a good foot hold soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Robamy My goldfish are chasing through them and everything else in the pond like crazy too now. I have a bud from a lily about halfway out of the water now so I am expecting my first flower soon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Do you guys get open flowers in the late afternoon (if you are gone to work all day), or do you have to wait until weekend to see the lily blooms? Mine are not open when I leave at 8:30, and closed by the time I get home at 5:30. At first I figured they were not opening. Check them this weekend. Good luck.
Also, when you plant new tubers, put rocks (all sizes, small or larger pieces) on top of the kitty litter, just not solid, and that will help hold the tuber down now, and after the pads begin growing and the fish are swimming through them being chased or chasing! Betta is right, though, once they are rooted well, they will stay put. My problem is they multiply so much that every spring I have learned to pull each pot, divide and just put one tuber per pot. Don't forget the fertilizer when you repot, or you can put in tablets anytime. Also, someone taught me to use a piece of paper towel, put granulated fertilizer in it, wrap it up and shove it down into the clay. Use any type of fertilizer that is for flowers or "blooms", and the middle number is the highest, i.e. 8-24-8. I watch for it during the year, and buy it on clearance end of season. I now have a good supply probably will last me several years! Plus, found Osmocote in small 2 oz packets at Menards on sale for 20 cents! One packet is enough for at least 2 pots.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I usually do not see most of the blooms either due to work. I leave about 6:45 am but when I get home varies depending on the job so I see a few during the week and weekends. My wife works from home so she sees most of them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most of mine are old and rooted pretty good. The ones Addy sent me, I've had to repot a few times. The fish do root through them or even swimming through the stems can make them come out. They will get a good foot hold soon.
Stick a rock on the tuber, I have to do that when I groom mine.

The fish love to swim through them, I watch them do it all of the time on the cam

Ask a Question