First pond build site selection

Reaction score
The first choice for my koi pond is on a slope on the side of my house. I have a back hoe operator coming out to dig the pond in a few days .I wanted to seek expert advice choosing my site
CIMG0897

The second choice is more out in the open further from the house on less of a slope.
CIMG0898
My original plan is for a 10' x 15' pond 5' feet deep with a water fall .There is rock under the soil in our area that can limit the depth of a pond so I am having the hole dug before the liner, pump, filter water fall purchase .Any thoughts on the site choice would be a great help.

Reaction score
Your choice of sites is going to depend a lot on what you want to grow in the pond plants, fish, etc. The amount of sunlight each proposed location receives will be important when planning the plants some prefer less direct sunlight than others. I found that building on a slope was easier for me due to the design I wanted with two waterfalls. It was a little easier getting the look I wanted. If they both receive the same amount of sunlight then it just comes down to which site you would enjoy more. Another determining factor for me was I liked it closer to the house so i could hear the falls when I opened my living room windows. Also in the second picture it looks like you may have a couple trees so this would mean dealing with falling leaves and such in the fall.

Reaction score
Thanks
It looks like the site close to the house will be the one I will use .I will take some photos of the back hoe work .

Reaction score
Be sure to call for a utility locate before you dig. Looks like you have a gas line somewhere close. I have a backhoe myself and know that if a pipe or line is near by it always finds my bucket.

Ask a Question