First pond......kind of done...couple questions?

Reaction score
I do not have any by pass. The water gets pumped from the skimmer to the Docs biofilter which then gravity feeds to the biofalls.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
O.K., so you have to partially close the valve to the filter, or it overflows. Put a tee in your line ahead of the filter, and run it directly to the falls. As it is now, you are probably getting only about 300 gph over the falls. John

Reaction score
If I put in a am T still going to get the benefits of the Docs Biological filter or is that water just going to the path of least resistance and bypass the biofilter?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sorry, Charleyd, I should have been more specific. Put a valve on the falls side of the tee and either remove the valve to your filter or leave it wide open. Yes, water will take the path of least resistance, and this way you can partially close the falls valve until the right amount of water is forced to the filter side. The valve will restrict the overall flow a little, but you should get somewhere around 3,000 gph to the falls. Since the filter will only accept a certain rate of flow, you will still get the same benefit from it, but instead of slowing the water flow you are sending the excess water over the falls unfiltered. Does that make sense? John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats a long way for water to travel and the elbows you have slow it down more and It still could be the length and amount of restrictions you have .My hose is 6 feet long and 1268 gph pump on that one no elbows and I get a flow of 1200 gph into the filter and it is a big deep filter and I had to get it down by putting a fountain head on the pump and diverting some water to that

Ask a Question