FIRST POND PROJECT

Reaction score
I have been planing my indoor pond for about 6 months now and I'm about 2 weeks away from filling my tank. I started with wanting a 300 gal stock tank and then decided that was not big enough. I then decided I wanted a 1000 gal open top tank until I discovered I could not get it through the door. So I the settled on a 660 gal 38" deep 72" dia open top tank. I will be using a Pondmaster Mag Pump and Fish Mate filter along with an Aquascape Pond Aerator. I have made an octagon frame from 3/4" PVC and covered it with netting to prevent from jumpers, I will also installing T5 grow lighting. All of this and a bunch of plants will go into my 12" shed to make a sort of Zen room. Please post any knowledge that will help. I am in Springfield Illinois but just moved here from San Diego, California so feeling a little like a fish out of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I hope your shed is bigger than 12 inches... ;)

Welcome to Illinois and sorry about the weather!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
How cold will your shed get during the winter?
What type of fish/plants are you planning on keeping?
Can you post any pictures of your setup?

Reaction score
I would expect the inside temperatures of the shed to be nearly as cold as outside temperatures, even with insulation. Plus flowing water will be a little colder than the inside of the shed. You will probably need to combat ice and figure out how you will keep a hole open in the ice for gas and oxygen exchange.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Some space heaters can be a fire danger or cause over heating. If gas, possible carbon monoxide. If electric, the cost of electricity. Also climate control efficiency is a factor. Floor and ceiling and door insulated? Windows or roof vents for incoming / outgoing air and odor buildup? With water moisture there is generally the possible development of mold and mildew. After you combat winter have you thought about the heat of summer? The lack of fresh air circulation? Nice idea for an indoor pond yet so many seasonal climate considerations.

Just saying............

Last edited:

Ask a Question