First pond snake - ID help please...

Reaction score
Saw this snake in the pond about an hour ago, curled on a lily pad at first and then swam to the side. When I got close it swam back to the water and then snuck out as in the pic when left alone. Tad worried it could be a baby copperhead, but also seems to match a plain old water snake. It looked more reddish in person than in the pic. What do you guys think? CT is my location.

P.S.- I think out first frog is a bronze frog. Sits two feet away without a care in the world.

Attachments

• BabySnake1.jpg
    BabySnake1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 326

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
not a copperhead, prob like you say plain old water snake, or a black snake

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Malak, It appears to be a banded water snake, I would say with 99% certainty it is non-venomous. Shouldn't really bother much of anything unless it can eat your new frog buddy, I wouldn't recommend welcoming it to the pond though. they can get quite large, have a nasty disposition, will bite, and there primary food is frogs, with fish being second although they prefer dying fish. At that small he is really not much threat but as stated, they can get close to 6 foot and at that size have no problems eating full grown bull frogs and fish up to about 10". I would try and relocate to a better place if you can catch it, just be careful, I said 99% sure, not 100% :alieneyesa: !!!!!!!

Reaction score
Also, changed my mind on the frog. I think it's a green frog which is merely a different subspecies compared to the bronze. Same thing basically. His lower half looks quite brown, but I viewed him from above and he looked more like the green than the bronze.

Attachments

• FirstFrog.jpg
    FirstFrog.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 244
Reaction score
Also, this is how I deliver acid to lower my pH using Seachem's Acid Buffer. One TSP mixed with water. Rocks in the container so wind does not blow it off. There is a small hole in the lid and the handle(for air). It's been very effectice at keeping it below 8 at least. I just got my first two lilies yesterday along with a water hyacinth and I threw in 3 more bunches of watercress. I now have about a third of the surface covered. Hoping that starts to control the green algae phase and the pH. Oyster shell definitely raises it. I measured before and after. I cannot use it till the hardness goes up more at a lower pH.

Attachments

• AcidDeliverySys.jpg
    AcidDeliverySys.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 265

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Malak said:
Ok, I was waiting for your answer since you seem like the snake man around here except for the fact that you are way further South than I am. Thanks!

LOL, Malak. I started working in Pets stores when I was 15, I started my own in 1989 and ran it until 1994 when I sold it. I'm not afraid of any animals but I learned a long time ago to have respect for MANY. I've been put in the hospital my more animals than most people see Dr.s for illness's. Seriously, I've been snake bitten, Lizard bitten, spider bitten, I've been stuck by venomous fish, had a severe reaction to a anemone, I've even had to go through the Rabies shot treatment when I was young trying to rescue a baby flying squirrel. I've been around all types of animals since very young and I've found that all these years of experience sometimes pays off in helping others. I'm no expert my any means, yes I have kept snakes, largest a snow white Burmese that got a little over 18' long to a whole tank full of tiny ringneck snakes that breed in my mom's petunia box. I've raised probably 1000+ corn snakes over vthe years and even did Reptile and pet shows for elementary schools.
I blew up the pic you posted and the head looks to me more like the common banded water snake, BTW, a sub species of those grows here too. It's eyes are round, A good indicator that it is Non-venomous. ONLY snake that grows native in the US that has round pupil eyes is the Coral snake and I'm 100% sure it's not that! lol

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I like your acid releaser! great idea! How long does it take to dispeance a one teaspoon/one gallon water mix? Over a 24 hr period I would think be about the dosage I would shoot for without further reading into it. some may shoot for a slower or faster but 24 I would feel comfortable with. OH! REMEMBER ALWAYS FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS FOR MIXING! Do not add water to acid! Add acid to the water, VERY IMPORTANT YOU KNOW THIS! :alieneyesa::yikesu:

Reaction score
Takes maybe two hours. I don't think you could use holes any smaller and still have it work effectively. I have to do it nearly daily. I think my cinderblocks are still leaching. I do either with the acid. It is an enclosed container so no risk of burns.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You do know if you get some peat moss and put it in a bag and allow it to float or water to pass through it will lower it naturally? Works the same way as Barley Bales do for algae. Cheap and you can't over dose to quickly, Con water will turn tea colored. It does take some time to start working as it breaks down but once you have your levels corrected it will work good for help keeping it there if needed.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
RobP said:
100% northern water snake. Harmless, but will bite if picked up. No worries.

I would like to add to this, No worries in Non-poisonous? Any snake bite and especially water snakes can carry mouth fulls of very dangerous bacteria. This can be just as deadly as a poisonous snake if left untreated. If for some reason your bitten wash thoroughly, clean with peroxide, treat with a local antibiotic ointment and watch for signs of redness.
One of my employees lost two fingers and stayed in ICU for a extended stay from a water snake bite, granted it got bad after about two weeks from being bitten and could have gotten infected by a number of things in a pet store. But It's better safe than sorry. After the fact we read up on it and they have bacteria in their mouth's that help in digestion similar to monitor type lizards Ex:the Komodo dragon and Gila Monster of the southwest US. which is venomous.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
copperheads look like a copper penny and you can keep your snake don't tell him to come visit me .99 not 100 LOL.Oh great snakes what next ,just thought about the fact they are foresting out here and driving everything this way .I found 2 baby snakes yesterday and threw them out into the woods with my rake .Don't come back NO WORRIES LOL

Ask a Question