Water Snake or Moccasin? Pond 2 FINISHED!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello guys and gals, Just finished the 2nd Pond (400 Gallon) this weekend FINALLY.

400 Gallon Pond @ just over 2ft deep
550 GPH and 650GPH Pumps with 2 Pre-Filters
9w UV Clarifier (200gph Flow)
4 - 24 LED Lights
Bare Bottom No Rocks
Plants: Water Lettuce
Fish Load: 1 Common Goldfish 9", 2 Shubunkins 3", 1 Butterfly Koi 2-3"
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3643]
I was sitting by the Pond when this guy decided to stick his head out, looking for some food. I tried to capture him but he was too evasive for me and hid behind the waterfall, I don't know how long he has been there but when I moved th slab he was hiding under, he was a lot bigger than he looked, around 3-1/2 ft and FAT, I have not had any fish missing in a while (6 months) but I am worried he will make a snack out of them! I don't think it is a Moccasin because of how narrow his head is, but his shape and color makes me not sure since im no snake expert, do any of you know just from seeing the pic?
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3642]

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Jason, It doesn't look to be venomous from the pic, BUT, Even if not if it is a water snake don't under estimate how nasty of a bite they can give. It's probably been feeding on frogs and such, but if it gets hungry enough it can and will eat small fish. Andy davis posted a idea about getting something that sprays water to try and chase it off. I have one too and it's driving me crazy.
Here is a great pic of a cotton mouth. The head in the picture along with the body markings makes me want to think Banded water snake or common water snake. But as others have said. I can't be sure so be careful and handle as if it was the worse of the two.

Attachments

• zcottonmouth.jpg
    zcottonmouth.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 265
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks, It's head was not near the size of that Moccasin! So glad to hear that, I just don't want him eating the Fish or the Leopard Frogs I have, although he can take care of that huge Bull Frog that stays around that pond too ;)

Reaction score
Yes! they will eat fish if they don't have lots of other prospects to choose. I can't see the head really well in the pic, but the back of a moccasins head is broad with an upturned nose and has a skinny neck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Fishy! I don't think it is, after seeing some of the pic's and usually Florida Moccasins are all black that I have seen

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Jason, The leopard frog is probably in BIG jeopardy, toads, tree frogs, leopard frogs, spring peepers and such are primary diets to most water type snakes, Including moccasins. Big bull frogs aren't top on the list because they can actually be as much of a predator to small snakes as a large snake is to it. Mr. Bull frog can usually handle his own with all but full grown adult snakes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I shot it in the head last night twice with a CO2 Pistol, First time when he was sticking his head over the water, then he went limp and floated in the pond, then his head came up and his tongue came out so I hit him again and he swam really fast under the rocks... He's definitely NOT going to survive that lol / took care of

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pretty sad Jason, We build a pond to attract wildlife. If it was out why couldn't it be netted and removed. Or at least attempted before going to that drastic of a measure. Not that I wouldn't go to that extreme if all else failed and the snake was a serious threat to the pond or someone. Same with a Great blue heron. I've had several snakes in my ponds over the years. The one I'm dealing with right now is a threat to the fish, and it's a good 4-5 footer. I could have shot it several times. I'm just waiting for the right opportunity to try and remove it safely and alive. I've only seen one snake actually eat a fish, and with that said it wasn't a strong healthy fish anyway. I have seen snakes become problems in some ponds, but normally, they eat a frog or a fish, then bask and sleep for days before moving on. Hope you don't have mice in the area, You do know that mice not only carry 100 times more diseases than snakes? Mice are also 100% more likely to damage the liner, hoses, and power cords of your pond than a snake is. I can see why Haro would be a little upset.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
For several years while I owned my pet store I would do reptile shows at the local schools. It's funny how many people are terrified and hate an animal that does them so much good. When I would walk into a auditorium or a class most of the people including the teachers would get as far away as possible. When you reach into a cage and pull out a 10' La. pine snake, or a handful of assorted colored corn snakes all you hear is a big gasp and silence. You can actually feel the fear in the room. Yet, When I asked a whole high school class one time if anyone they knew had been bitten by a snake,( Poisonous or not). I got a few hands to raise up. Then I ask how many of them died, all the hands went down. Then I ask how many people in the class knew someone that had been in a car accident. Every single hand went up. I then ask how many had died, most went down but there were enough hands up to prove my point, more hands were still up in the air than there was when I ask if they knew anyone that had been bitten by a snake. It's a fact that every person reading this is more likely to be in a car accident and possibly die than be bitten by a snake. Yet when I ask the class how many were planning on driving all of them held their hands right back up. Fear and not being taught the good of these creatures have given them a bad rap. If I can get one message across to just one person that snakes aren't as bad as many people think they are, then at least I feel I am making a effort to change the way people look at this beautiful creature and the benefits they provide.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks, Larkin, glad you posted that. I, too would go to schools to introduce the kids (and teachers) to our local snakes. The session always began like yours, fear and distrust. By the end of the hour, kids were not only petting the creatures, they were handling them! I'd like to think that these lessons had some lasting effect on the kids, so they wouldn't simply destroy some poor creature that was doing far more good than harm. :fingersx:
John

Reaction score
Irrational fear, or phobia, of snakes pretty common in a lot of people. For some it seems to be very primal, but it can be reinforced or diminished by other people while you are young. If your mother screams every time she sees a snake and your father kills it, there's a pretty good chance you'll do the same when the opportunity arises.
It was with that in mind that I tried to teach my kids at an early age that snakes aren't inherently bad, but some can be dangerous and should be treated with respect. I have pictures of my youngest son kissing a little garter snake when he was about 5, and I have an old video of them learning how to handle a rattle snake we found in our yard.
I hope they pass this on to their kids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eKRUdh64H4c

Ask a Question