Snake in the pond!

Reaction score
With a few threads recently about people trying to get rid of the snakes in their ponds I thought I'd post a thread about how delighted I am to have one sticking around in my pond.
I like to have as much biodiversity in our pond as possible, but because our pond is contained within the walls of our courtyard, the likely hood of many land critters ever finding the pond on their own is very slim. So to help things out I will catch what I can to add to the pond biodiversity. Our frogs, and turtles are transplant, and because of the walls and the tight fitting doors, it's pretty sure that they can't leave on their own (unless someone leaves the courtyard doors open :angry: ). A snake though is another mater. They can squeeze through some pretty small openings, and can climb the wall vines pretty easily as well, so when I caught and released a couple snakes in our pond I didn't seriously think they would stick around very long. But it was just about a month ago that I released the first little baby snake in the pond area, and yesterday I saw him for the first time since his release. He happen to be perched right beside what is probably my last water hyacinth bloom of the season. He was so still I almost didn't notice him, in fact if it wasn't for the flower I probably wouldn't have seen him.
Anyway, I just wanted to say that not everybody thinks snakes are evil. I for one think they are a great addition to a natural pond setting. I hope mine stick around for years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vCyg9bP39Q4

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww so cute! We have black king snakes, some little gray possible garter snakes. I have not seen any hanging around the pond, but have collected some neat sheds one is around 5 feet long.
One poor little snake drowned in the shubbie tank, I have made a get out of the pond safe ramp out of milk crates and a few rocks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You are not afraid it'll eat your frogs?

I love the biodiversity at my house too but I dont have much this year, especially when everyone around me got those mosquitos control for their yard which means most bugs too. But I'm thinking may be that's the reason the mosquitos in my yard are so bad this year too lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
snakes like that are FINE, I have some really small long snakes every where around my back yard, even a grass snake in the front yard! But the Water snake I HAD (I Shot it twice in the head last night BTW) was dangerous to my fish and they come first! Hence why I have been trying to catch this Bull Frog too, the small grass snakes and Lizards and leopard frogs and toads can stay, Oh and a Box Turtle showed up in my yard yesterday as well ;)

Reaction score
Nepen said:
You are not afraid it'll eat your frogs?

I love the biodiversity at my house too but I dont have much this year, especially when everyone around me got those mosquitos control for their yard which means most bugs too. But I'm thinking may be that's the reason the mosquitos in my yard are so bad this year too lol.
I think if the snake was big enough to eat my frogs it should be the frogs that should be a little afraid, not me. LOL
However that snake is so small he should be a little Leary of my frogs because they can be quite aggressive. All in all it's pretty much what they'll face out in the wild, being under my supervision doesn't guarantee them complete security. When they signed the lease papers the only thing I agreed to was to provide them was room and board, if they want security from bad guys who are intent on eating them the'll have to hire their own body guard. Maybe they should make a deal with Jason and hire his tough old bullfrog, it sounds like Jason is planning to evict him anyway, or maybe put a bullet in his head. :eek: It's a scary business ponding, not everyone makes it out alive.

Reaction score
One of my friends who has a pond last year kept missing her smaller fish. She ended up fishing out three fairly large gater snakes. I don't have to worry about the snakes here eating my fish cause my smallest fish are 6 to 7 inches.

Reaction score
One reason I put minnows in the pond is so it hopefully stops the frogs and snakes from eating my smaller fish. I doubt I have to worry about snakes eating the fish though, cause of all of the bull frogs. I counted 8 medium sized bulls in the big pond last night! I bet I've put 5-6 dozen rosey reds and 2 dozen silver minnows in there this season and there is Maybe 1 dz left!

Ask a Question