First Time High Ammonia!

Reaction score
Now that I see what you are talking about, I'm heading to Nelsons Water Garden tomorrow as they said they carry digital salinity refractometer for $99.00 and I will take a sample of the container water with me for them to test. I'd rather get what's best to use rather than chance it with something cheaper. If the salt is high then I will do a partial water change and test again...if low, then you have given me the information to get it where it needs to be. When I get them back into the pond, then the salinity level should still be a .15-.2 correct?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
gardenlady said:
Now that I see what you are talking about, I'm heading to Nelsons Water Garden tomorrow as they said they carry digital salinity refractometer for $99.00 and I will take a sample of the container water with me for them to test. I'd rather get what's best to use rather than chance it with something cheaper. If the salt is high then I will do a partial water change and test again...if low, then you have given me the information to get it where it needs to be. When I get them back into the pond, then the salinity level should still be a .15-.2 correct?

Correct, if there were zero water changes since the previous measurement and this measurement was .15%~.2%, then the salinity should still be .15%~.2%. Since it is a salt compound that does not precipitate easily out of the water, then only water changes, or consumption by plants/critters, will be what removes the salt. So, when water changes are done, a portion of the salt is removed and this small portion is what will need to be replenished and to determine this small portion is why we use a salinity meter.

Just be sure the meter you purchase is not for saltwater/marine environments, be sure it is for freshwater, you want the low concentration test, that is from 0.01%~1% (or 1ppt to ~10ppt). A high concentration test is described by the saltwater/marine environment and this you do not want.

Reaction score
salinity tester.JPGsalinity tester.JPGOkay..purchased the salinity tester and I believe it's the one you suggested. I also took a photo of the result and if I understand the reading then it's too high?

Attachments

• salinity test result.JPG
    salinity test result.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 304

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, appears that'd be it.

Hard to tell... Is number shown in ppt or % ??

If that is 0.03%, then it would be 0.30 ppt.

If that is 0.03ppt, then it would be 0.003%. So, don't think it is showing as ppt and I think the number is showing is %. Not for sure though.

In either case, the salinity is quite low, unless I am reading it wrong.

The reading you are aiming for is .15%~.20% (that is 1.5ppt~2.0ppt).

If the number shown is in %, that is making it 0.03%, then this is far below the mark of .15%~.20%.

I bet the meter's reading is in % and it actually makes sense. City water can range from already having a 0.02%~0.18% salinity, depending on where ya live.

Reaction score
default is %. Just did a water test and now the ammonia is at .50, nitrite is .25 and nitrate is 5.0....I'd laugh if it werent' so frustrating!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Then, sounds like your meter is showing ya .03%, which is too low to help the fish combat the nitrite toxicity. Be sure the salt is properly dissolved, in a bucket or something, since some granules take longer to dissolve.

You're on the right track. Keep doing what you're doing. Crack the whip on hubby to get the pond fixed. Bake him his favorite Gardenlady pie for his victory reward.

This would not be fun without a wrench or two or ten being thrown at ya. ;) :cheerful:

Reaction score
Okay..if you are fine with those numbers then I'm not sweating it either. I put some of the ammonia detoxifer in there so that should help. He's out there now setting it up now and HAHA..on the pie!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Well, the ammonia/nitrite numbers are high for sure and should be addressed, but, as long as you are continuiing to do your water changes (sometimes do a large one then a small one), properly conditioning the water, ammonia detoxifier, increase and maintain the salinity to combat the nitrite, then you will be quite fine.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sooner the pond can be fixed the better. If this is more of a permanent holding tank for the fish, then I would look into building a wet/dry biological filter, whether be it DIY or a retail one, and possibly build a couple of small raised pots to contain some bog plants like water hycaniths, where the holding tank water circulates through, that is raised pots so the water can gravity flow back into the holding tank. We are actually talking more and more about the holding tank acting like a quarantine tank, which is a very good thing to have. For any small amount of debris accumulation in the holding tank, ya can simply just vacuum it out with a wet shop vac or pond vacuum. So, you might want to think about building a small biological filtration system for the holding tank (a.k.a, quarantine tank). A proper quarantine tank will better control the ammonia and nitrites and it is just a good asset to have in your pond inventory.

Reaction score
I've had a few conversations with someone else who has a quarantine tank in her basement and I was discussing it with the hubs as well. Back onto my saline test results though...based on your one message should the test have read .3 rather than .03? So does that actually mean that it's low? I just did a small water change and added plants

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Personally, I would have liked to have seen the salinity meter read .2%, but .3% is fine as long as it does not go higher than this. Personally, I would not raise it above .3%~.4% and this would be the absolute ceiling for my salinity level.

Yep, since ya say the meter's display default is value shown in %, then the .03% is much lower than .15%~.20%.

Remember, water changes dilute the salt so, when water is taken out then so is the salt and this displaced salt portion would need to be replaced.

Reaction score
Okay..so I will pour some salt into a different little container of water and then put around the perimeter as you explained previously and retest it later. SORRY I am bothering you so much..that's what happens when you are full of information!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh, no worries. I enjoy being bothered in more ways than one!! :biggrinangelA: :bdaybiggrin:

Ask a Question