First Time High Ammonia!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
A light royal blue would make sense on your low range pH tester since your high range pH tester indicates the pH is around 8.2ish. Since ya say your KH is around 16dkh (or drops), then I would trust the high range pH tester. It looks like the low range pH test might have gotten contaminated somehow.

Ammonia still too high for my comfort, but just keep doing and following the previous recommendations and it will be resolved.

Nitrites appear ok thus far, but any salinity above .15% will counteract and detoxify any present Nitrites as long as Nitrites does not get too high. A salinity of .3% and .15% combats Nitrites the exact same so a higher salinity will not make a difference in regards to Nitrites. A higher salinity if around .2~.3% only increases their osmoregulatory functions and mucus coat under stressful conditions, which might be what your fish needs since these are stressful conditions.

It is good you are concerned, but sounds like ya got a good head on your shoulders. Just take a step back, enjoy a glass of wine, and reapproach according to the recommendations given here by everyone and your fish will be quite fine. :cheerful:

Reaction score
Okay Charles..ran to Petsmart and they actually had the product you told me to get..see pic. I asked for a salinity tester and let him read what you said I would be checking and he said their tester wouldn't do that and I would need a different type of tester that is expensive. He did tell me that our area's PH is high so he wasn't surprised by my 8.2 level. I took out the pool dipstick tester and put into the pond water and I've shown the results here...not sure what they mean in terms of pond water. Oh and BTW retested the PH and you were right..I did something as it is back to it's usual light royal blue.

Attachments

• pool tester in pond water.JPG
    pool tester in pond water.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 276
  • amquel plus.JPG
    amquel plus.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 269
Reaction score
Sissy..I ran to Lowes and they had the water softener that you recommended so I bought two 40 lbs bags. So when I get the pond back together do I put some into like a netting type bag and just put it where the water will flow over it like I do the batting? And how much should I use of it for a 2,500-3,000 gallon pond? Hopefully I will catch on soon and stop having to ask everyone so many darn questions!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
gardenlady said:
Okay Charles..ran to Petsmart and they actually had the product you told me to get..see pic. I asked for a salinity tester and let him read what you said I would be checking and he said their tester wouldn't do that and I would need a different type of tester that is expensive. He did tell me that our area's PH is high so he wasn't surprised by my 8.2 level. I took out the pool dipstick tester and put into the pond water and I've shown the results here...not sure what they mean in terms of pond water. Oh and BTW retested the PH and you were right..I did something as it is back to it's usual light royal blue.

There are different types of salinity testers. You do not need anything terribly accurate but something that is close enough. A good digital salinity refractometer, found on amazon, is around $15~50. You can get a cheap plastic salinity measurement tool that utilizes a floaty in a plastic tool, which this is also a bit less accurate though can do well enough. Petsmart may not have it, but if you go to a local ma&pa aquarium fish store, then they will likely have the cheap ones. The cheap ones are around $5~10. You can get a more expensive salinity digital that actually functions as a TDS tool as well, but these can be calibrated to measure salinity and these more expensive ones are around $50~$400.

For the pool test kit, in particular looking at the chlorine tests. Results look good assuming you do not have chloramine in the water and if your particular chlorine test also tests for chloramine. This is an important test when using a water conditioner to neutralize the chlorine or chloramine. City water can have either and or both chlorine and/or chloramine.

Yep, that AmQuel Plus is the right. Be sure to follow the directions, which also are further explained in the hyperlink I previously posted.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
gardenlady said:
Sissy..I ran to Lowes and they had the water softener that you recommended so I bought two 40 lbs bags. So when I get the pond back together do I put some into like a netting type bag and just put it where the water will flow over it like I do the batting? And how much should I use of it for a 2,500-3,000 gallon pond? Hopefully I will catch on soon and stop having to ask everyone so many darn questions!
For salt, it is .835 pounds (13 .360 ounces) per 100 gallons.

For a 30 gallon container, then, after using the salinity calculator, then it is only 4 ounces. Dissolve this first in a bucket and then slowly pour it around the parameter. I would avoid dosing an entire pond with salt. Once dosed, then it is extremely important to test the water's salinity. After it is dosed, then you do not know exactly how much salt is removed with water changes. After a water change, measure the water's salinity and then create the dosage to bring the salinity back up to %.15~.2. So, if you are going to put salt in the water, then it is quite important to test the water prior to dosing the water.

Reaction score
This guy at Petsmart seemed pretty knowledgeable and was aware of everything I told him I was being told by you experts. He said that some areas of Cypress had chlorine and chloramine but he couldn't remember which had both or just chlorine. I will run water to the local pool company and have them test both the pool and my tap water for everything because this test doesn't say if it tests for chloramine also :) There is an Aquarium World here that I'm sure would have it so I shall check with them. I will test the water tomorrow and see where my ammonia is but I did do one some hours after adding the item you suggested and it looked to be at .25. Thanks for the info as well as the encouragement Charles.
crsublette said:
There are different types of salinity testers. You do not need anything terribly accurate but something that is close enough. A good digital salinity refractometer, found on amazon, is around $15~50. You can get a cheap plastic salinity measurement tool that utilizes a floaty in a plastic tool, which this is also a bit less accurate though can do well enough. Petsmart may not have it, but if you go to a local ma&pa aquarium fish store, then they will likely have the cheap ones. The cheap ones are around $5~10. You can get a more expensive salinity digital that actually functions as a TDS tool as well, but these can be calibrated to measure salinity and these more expensive ones are around $50~$400.

For the pool test kit, in particular looking at the chlorine tests. Results look good assuming you do not have chloramine in the water and if your particular chlorine test also tests for chloramine. This is an important test when using a water conditioner to neutralize the chlorine or chloramine. City water can have either and or both chlorine and/or chloramine.

Yep, that AmQuel Plus is the right. Be sure to follow the directions, which also are further explained in the hyperlink I previously posted.

Reaction score
Yikes...I have dosed it according to the size of the container and then after the partial water changes just kinda sprinkled a little in to make up for the difference in new water. Hopefully I was correct, but will say that the fish look and act happy which is where I hope they stay since I have another two days in there.

For salt, it is .835 pounds (13 .360 ounces) per 100 gallons.

For a 30 gallon container, then, after using the salinity calculator, then it is only 4 ounces. Dissolve this first in a bucket and then slowly pour it around the parameter. I would avoid dosing an entire pond with salt. Once dosed, then it is extremely important to test the water's salinity. After it is dosed, then you do not know exactly how much salt is removed with water changes. After a water change, measure the water's salinity and then create the dosage to bring the salinity back up to %.15~.2. So, if you are going to put salt in the water, then it is quite important to test the water prior to dosing the water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It doesn't take much salt it is just to help there slime coat .I know here we have been getting lots of rain and I can usually look at my fish and see .I know pet store sell some type of slime coat stuff ,but I would rather use salt .I know they also have ammonia catching pads that acurel makes .I have used them and they work pretty good when I see any amount of ammonia .Never tried the liquid stuff .Yep better to test before and then after they say .I don't test as much as I used to .I try to test after really heavy rains though .I keep my salt in a plastic garbage can in the bag ,it does not go bad .

Reaction score
Tested the water this morning and the ammonia is at ZERO..YIPPEE! PH was the light royal blue, PH High was 8.2, Nitrite was slightly different color than 0, nitrate was zero and KH took 16 drops to turn yellow. I cut a square of furnace filter and put that on top of the batting this morning. Need to call Aquarium World and see if they have the salinity calculator thing this morning. Couldn't have gotten this under control with all of your help!

Reaction score
If you find one send me the link so I can see what it looks like and I will look for one as well. I won't bid on it! My Ebay user id is happy2bme

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
gardenlady said:
Tested the water this morning and the ammonia is at ZERO..YIPPEE! PH was the light royal blue, PH High was 8.2, Nitrite was slightly different color than 0, nitrate was zero and KH took 16 drops to turn yellow. I cut a square of furnace filter and put that on top of the batting this morning. Need to call Aquarium World and see if they have the salinity calculator thing this morning. Couldn't have gotten this under control with all of your help!
Awesome!! :banana: :afro: :0000000057: :claphands:

Now, since the Nitrite sounds like it is climbing, personally, I would be proactive in obtaining a cheap salinity tool and maintaining a .15% salinity, which it sounds like you are going to do. If the fish are going to be transplanted soon, then no worries.

Reaction score
Well hubs is going to start putting the bog and waterfall back together tomorrow so praying that the fish are back in tomorrow night or Sunday morning. 40% chance of rain Saturday and 60% for Sunday..UGH! But our weather is always changing from day to day so i'm hoping it's dry so the mortar can get done and set. Thanks for all of your help Charles!

Reaction score
I don't see anything for less than $100 on Amazon Charles and Aquarium World is $189. Maybe no one sells the inexpensive ones anymore.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
gardenlady said:
I don't see anything for less than $100 on Amazon Charles and Aquarium World is $189. Maybe no one sells the inexpensive ones anymore.
Here is the cheap plastic one I was talking about, Instant Ocean Hydrometer. Accuracy is not great at all, but it is workable. If the tool measures only just 2ppt, then that is .20% salinity. Look at the attached image to know where the tool indicate should be to indicate .20% salinity. This is why they're so cheap. ;) Also, they're made for a saltwater aquarium/pond and not necessarily for a freshwater aquarium/pond.

Salainity Refractometer's on the cheap end, that is below $60, are more for saltwater aquariums and, for our freshwater pond, this type of refractometer are no more accurate than the Hydrometer.

For freshwater purposes, you really want an instrument that measures from 0 to 1%, that is 0.00 ppt to 10.00 ppt.

.15% salinity, in ppt, is actually 1.5ppt.

Personally, I would aim for the $60~140 range, such as the Aqua Meds Koi Medic Digital Salinity meter.

There are more expensive ones out there, but I do not think they are necessary unless you have other intentions in mind.

Personally, I think a good, accurate, salinity meter is something good to have in your pond emergency kit. Ya never know when you might need it, might only use it once a year, but you will be glad that you have it and be sure to properly store it.

Attachments

• salinity_hydrometer.jpg
    salinity_hydrometer.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 330

Ask a Question