First winter letting waterfall/skimmer run all winter. What do I need to know?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have an external pump, a Helix skimmer and a modest stream/waterfall about 30" across.
External pump is 4800 gallons, pond volume about the same.
No fish right now.

I'm going to watch daily for ice dams at the stream/waterfall.

What do I need to worry about?
heater? Aerator?

Thanks gang!

~Jared

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Without fish, there isn't much to worry about other than pipes freezing, ice dams forming and directing water from the pond. You would not need an aerator or heater.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
In fact you will extend the life of your pump by not using it for 4 months.
I'm not sure about external pumps, but submersible ones are best stored in a bucket of water to keep all the rubber parts from drying out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm not sure about external pumps,
I use external pumps, I just unplug them, detach from lines, dump out any water and stick in our outside shed. I used to bring them in until I saw all the spider winter nests built on them. Now they stay outside lol. In the spring I take silicone and rub the o rings, attach plug in and they fire up.

I have two small submersible pumps for my hot tub pond and for my deck pond, I just unplug and leave them in the pond.
Have one small submersible I use in the winter for my big pond. I put it in a bucket to keep a bit of water flowing for the birds, the output just hitting the pond water surface. I store that one dry in our shed all summer, it fires up every winter without issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I were to just shut down the pump for the winter, would I have to drain my water lines? I have 3" flexible PVC buried. Running all winter seems kinda nice. It looks good from our kitchen window :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Know some people blow their lines out, but I've never done that. Two of my pumps have unions that I disconnect and they just draw. The waterfall pump I just turn off , it''s buried, but to very deep and has never frozen. I do turn off my waterfall well before frigid temps.

I think waterfalls running in the winter are gorgeous !

Ask a Question