First year for new pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would recommend a Emperor Aquatics 80 Watt SMART HO UV with 2" Unions for that size pond.
As for a filter I recommend a Advantage 15 bead filter.
The filter has a manufacturer's unconditional one-year satisfaction guarantee. This means that if you are not 100% satisfied with an Advantage Bead Filter purchased , you may simply return it to us anytime within one year after your original purchase date. They even pay return shipping costs.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
being an avid DIYer (and poor)myself, if plumbing in a remotely located filter wasnt convenient,i would build a low profile, flushable 150 gallon stocktank upflow filter and plumb it just before the stream. this way it can catch the solids before theyre recirculated thru the stream and pond, this filter with some stone stacked around it can be installed as a first waterfall starting the stream, and the top can filled with hiacynths and lettuce for more veggy filtration.and to virtually make your filter invisable.. i would take the time to clean out the stream tho, to clear the current build up of organics. and as far as a u.v... plumb it into the ponds small skimmer/waterfall setup.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
he said his water quality was good..so his biggest concern would be removing the solids from the enviorment..and he says his long stream has functioned well as a bio-filter, so if his statements are true a single 150 gal (flushed regularly) in series before the stream to catch and remove the solids. and add additional bio and veggy filtering should suffice. now we dont know his fish numbers so i can only go by information supplied.

Reaction score
In the 10,000 gallon pond, I have about 30 fish. Most are 3-5 inches, two of my Koi are 8 inches or bigger.

I want to add more fish, but hesitate until the water is clear.

Reaction score
DrCase said:
Do you want to build a filter or buy one ?

I can build one - but the key is getting rid of the algae. So I wonder if a UV light system is what I really need. The water is "clean" - just green.

The stream system does a great job biologically and filters. I can easily clean the stream with the bypass (water flows out of the stream into a drain.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
o'k heres the problem... as the water and solids are passed thru the pump,some of the solids are semi liquidified by the impeller. this poop soup is pumped thru the falls and stream, this soup settles in the stones and such in the stream and some may even be suspended in the water long enough to make it back into the pond. when this occurs your just recirculating it. and the stuff in the stream builds up due to it being created faster than eliminated....i dont know how effective your stream bypass flushing is..but i have a hard time believing its as effective or even close to a upflow filter flush, as all the rocks and gravel in the stream are going to hold on to the 'butt mud' that settles below and in between. in the upflow filter almost all (95%+) the mud settles in the bottom of the stocktank or barrel(s) to easily (in about a minute) be flushed out. thereby taking it out of the system so the system need not work as hard to accomplish the same task. and a u.v light in the smaller waterfall / skimmer would be a plus too!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
first one is directions for build (stocktank) second is 55 gal drum
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/my-70-gallon-skippy-filter-t3083.html
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/koiguys-55-gallon-bio-filter-skippy-style-t4339.html
or you can google skippy filter (skippy stuff) for directions and theres other designs stickied in the diy section..there all the same basic filter with slight variations to design

The scrubby pads are a great idea! Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I will build this and put it ahead of my stream. I don't know if this will take care of my algae problem - but it will take care of the stream getting clogged up (although it does take a long time for the stream to get that way and then I clean through the bypass with a garden hose (pond water not tap water).

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You will be surprised what a filter can do,, To prevent green water

Ask a Question