First year I am using an in-line heater in one of my ponds

Reaction score
jethro13 said:
How about a wood burning water heater to supplement the gas or electric heater to keep the cost down? just a thought.

That would work but probably involve 2 heat exchangers and 2 thermostats one for the gas or electric hot water heater loop and one for the wood fired boiler loop. The hot water heater's thermostat being set slightly lower than the boilers. That way if you were not able to tend the wood the hot water heater loop would kick in. There is a lot more involved like thermostatically controlled shut-off valves etc but that's a simple explanation.

Reaction score
This may be totally useless, but in Florida most people have solar heating for their swimming pools. Basically, the water is pumped from the pool to under solar collectors on the roof and back to the pool, rather like a solar water heater. It keeps the water warm enough to swim in for 3 or 4 months more than what you would get without the solar system. I wonder if a clever person could adapt such a system to warm a fish pond?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The collectors are very easy to make. They have to be sealed and black inside to absorb the sunlight. I made a few about 40 years ago for a friends pool.

koikeeper123

pond addict
Reaction score
shakaho... it is a good idea and thanks for the input but the solar heating up here in zone 5 when the snow comes and the ice kicks in it doesn't work to well.

I think I might use Pondmasters idea for next year to take some of the load off the electric heater... but this year I will pay the cost of keeping things controlled with the electric heater and when I do a water change use the hot water from my water heater to let the in-line heater rest for a bit (1 hour or two...lol). I am also going to build the shell that I am going to use to cover the pond and put the 5ml poly overwintering film over the pond that should help.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It only has to keep the water it returns to the pond at 33 degrees to keep a hole open. In direct sunlight, in an engineered collector, that is easy, even in below zero weather.

I made mine in an archimedean spiral, so each revolution, the water gets warmer. I can't remember the Delta T, but it was very high.

koikeeper123

pond addict
Reaction score
I hear you Dr. Dave... and if I just wanted to keep a hole in the pond the solar idea is a great one. I am keeping my Koi active all winter by keeping the temperature up... it is currently a nice 65 degrees in my pond and the fish seem to be very happy. When it gets really cold I am planning on keeping it around 55 degrees and giving a light feeding once a day.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Keep us posted on the progress. There are many folks here that would like to do the same. Photos are good to have, please take and post them.

Reaction score
Koikeeper,

I see your not far from the Chicago O'Hare airport. I was stationed at a Nike site in Jackson Park (not far from The Museum of Science & Industry). Traffic would almost stop along Lake Shore Drive when we brought the missiles up topside and raised them on their launchers.

koikeeper123

pond addict
Reaction score
Pondmaster... I used to live right by Navy Pier when I was in my twenties... love that neighborhood.

I am going to post a bunch of pictures on Wednesday when I have more time... the weather got warmer the past couple days and my pond is at 68 degrees (most ponds in the area are still under 50 degrees. Fish seem very happy and are eating like crazy.

Ask a Question