Fish companion for my frogs/ pic of tub

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello. I own 2 young green frogs that live in one of those large storage tubs that youd put you christmas decor in. Ive been thinking of a companion fish for my frogs, ive thought of some types like cyclids goldfish and some others like alage eaters. Id like something that is somewhat active and not super small. Ive actually seen my frogs eating the guppies i used to have with them. The other important thing is that it eats insects mainly. Ive found that fish food can be dirty and though i have a filter its dirty. The insect would be mainly medium crickets wich have soft bodies. If anyone knows of any fish that arent to big but not too small and can eat live insects let me know. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is there tub, right now the water is only about 3 inches deep.thats low because we just cleaned the tub

Attachments

• 16000114699642126118685.jpg
    16000114699642126118685.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 108
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Big fish require big water. Skip the goldfish, go for tropicals like gouromi, but honestly you should only have 2-3 in that much water, or find a smaller fish still too big for fish to eat. Guppies are good, they readily breed, but I’d suggest having a tank just for them that you can restock the frog tank from.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
i actually filled the tank up with more water last week. its got close to 8 inches now. this weekend i was thinking about getting a betta and some corydoras. i think i might skip the betta and get a few gouromi. when i did have the guppies i probaly had too many and they they werent able to breed faster than the frogs would prey on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
do you think that a blue acara would be a good one. they are aparently very docile fish and do exelent in community tanks. thats suprising because most cichlids dont have a good reputation of being friendly fish. i cant find anything though saying they can or cant live with frogs
ive got a rubber frog lure so i might toss it in there and see if they destroy it or not

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
do you think that a blue acara would be a good one. they are aparently very docile fish and do exelent in community tanks. thats suprising because most cichlids dont have a good reputation of being friendly fish. i cant find anything though saying they can or cant live with frogs
ive got a rubber frog lure so i might toss it in there and see if they destroy it or not
no, they get to be 6 inches! I would say at least 40 gallons of water if not much much more for them. Also, chiclids require a specific ph and salt added to their water, something that is not suitable for many other fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’d offer to send excess guppies to feed the frogs, but apparently shipping requires special bags, so I can send you my excess!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No its ok. I can get like 12 guppies for under a dollar here. So do you think that a betta would be better or the gourami. I personally dont appreciate the frogs eating the fish. I think that it makes the fish realy distrustful wich isone thing i dont want. The 3 things i need are that it will eat insects tolerate warmer water and not get eaten. I like the idea of a betta because they dont just look nice but il be able to give it a larger area than the little cup that it lives in and then the smaller cup somones gona put it in when they get home

Ask a Question