Fish other than koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
What other type of fish can I put in besides koi? I love in southern california so water doesn’t freeze

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

There are all sorts of nice goldfish, shubunkins, wakins, fan tails, all do fine in a pond.

What size is your pond?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

There are other choices, but it depends a lot on how big your pond is and what you are using for filtration.

Why not share a few pics of your pond and let us know how big it is.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1599581926673.gif
@Makiavelli
If you like the look of koi take a look at Shubunkin goldfish. Some have long flowing tails too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
With it being southern cali, how low do the temps get? Obviously not freezing, but my first thought was things like tropicals, where you’d want temps 70-80s. Gouromi, barbs, with smaller fish like guppies for color and lots of movement. If lows are 40s- 50s, those are all out. Look at other cooler water or native fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would keep most of the fish in the bottom portion which is around 100 gallons. Might keep a fish or something up top before the water fall to control algae. Water probably gets in the high 50s during the winter nights. I was thinking Shubunkins also but I wanted a more natural pond look without the vibrant colors of the koi or goldfish. Also am going to put in a basking spot for a red painted turtle

Attachments

• 3B6BEEF5-A53A-4C6E-AF5E-DA32B4CB4719.jpeg
    3B6BEEF5-A53A-4C6E-AF5E-DA32B4CB4719.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 80
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome! Hum, I would rethink keeping a turtle in there. The water will get trashed unless you significantly increase your filtration. I keep turtles and they are messy. Your plants will become dinner and the turtle will disappear unless you put up a containment barrier.
But I find it interesting that you want some unusual, native looking fishes. Your pond is smaller sized so perhaps fish that don't grow large would work? Consider White Cloud Mountain Minnows (Tanichthys albonubes). Again, welcome!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ohhh... no koi for sure! Your pond is too small for koi, but good for a couple of goldfish or a bunch of minnows.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I honestly don’t know why I even mentioned koi in the title, was mostly asking what other fish could I keep besides the popular orange/calico fish. Koi was the first fish that came to my mind. Thanks for the help! I’ll probably be putting Shubunkins in there. Would love an African cichlid pond but don’t feel like installing a heater

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Would keep most of the fish in the bottom portion which is around 100 gallons.
I would not even put shubunkins in a 100 gallon pond, look at the fan tails. I have a bunch in my 300 gallon hot tub pond. They stay small and will do fine in a small pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I have 5 Black Moor In addition to my other fish. They’re like big meatballs. I’ve been told because of their bulging eyes they’re probably not the best choice but they are pretty hardy and I’ve not had any issues.

Ask a Question