Fish Dying

Discussion in 'Illness and Disease' started by CherylD, Oct 5, 2017.

1. CherylD

IPA

63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
    Nitrite is 4.5 ? That's very bad!

IPA, Oct 6, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. CherylD

CherylD

It appeared to be a displaced baby that was not very old. Pond is
    No, added fish a fish back in April. Added a bacteria pod the local pond place said to use a few days ago, but had already lost 2.

CherylD, Oct 6, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. CherylD

CherylD

So is there anything I can do to get it down. Since is have not had any trouble I am lost at what to do. I was told changing water would stress fish more

CherylD, Oct 6, 2017
  4. CherylD

CherylD

I am wrong the nitrite is 0 and the nitrate is 4.5

CherylD, Oct 6, 2017
    IPA likes this.
  5. CherylD

IPA

When did you start the treatment with knockout plus?

IPA, Oct 6, 2017
  6. CherylD

CherylD

I used knock out for 7 days and the last dose was on Friday Sept 29th. The orange one I had that died started turning white around his mouth then died about 5 days later, this was why I contacted local fish place because of him changing colors like that. The pond place here had recommended using knockout. I have another one right now that has been on its side but is now at bottom of pond and it is turning white around mouth now. Again since I have never had any fish die I am at a loss of what to do. The pond had been really pea soup looking but figured it was from extreme heat we were having here in Indiana in the 90's. Water has cleared up now though. Wondering if I should do a water change. We are on a well here also, not city water.

CherylD, Oct 6, 2017
  7. CherylD

IPA

Can you describe the behavior of the fish before they died and the ones you still have. Are or were their fins clamped, are they flashing, other symptoms, appetite loss, lethargic, gulping for air, swimming on bottom, head down, loss or excess in slime coat?

Do I understand that you added a fish and the same week the others got ill and you began the treatment? at the same time it's possible a raccoon attacked your fish?

Please describe in detail the filtration system.

I don't want to contradict the advice your local pond expert gave but now that the treatment is finished I think a 20% water change should probably be preformed. Since you have well water make sure that it is aerating as it enters the pond, don't just stick the hose in water since well water can be low in oxygen. Anything you can do to increase aeration is also recommended.

You KH is 120; 200 would be better and addition of baking soda should not interfere with future treatments.

Is there any salinity in the water, did you ever add salt, when and how much?

Perform any other test you have in you kit and post results.

It's hard to see issues with the white Koi from the picture, can you describe any issues? If you have fish still ill, without over stressing them can you examine them? This might be a good time to treat by a dip as well but what I don't know. Take pictures of any issues you notice. Do you have a way to look at a scrape under a microscope, maybe the pond store where you purchased the Koi? Hopefully the treatment took care of any parasites and can treat for secondary bacteria (or fungus) but a scrape and scope would eliminate guessing.

IPA, Oct 6, 2017
  8. CherylD

CherylD

The first I noticed something was wrong I found one in the skimmer dead, then I noticed the orange one was turning white around the mouth, then a few days later started laying on side but swimming away if you touched it. It was swimming with its head down also. They are not eating well and used to swarm to eat now they are acting skittish. No I have not added any new fish, did get one back in April though. I know from a neighbor who bought fish and just put in their pond and lost all of them to parasites, so was careful when adding the one back in April.

The racoon that was in the backyard was too young to be on its own and got through the fence, not sure if it had gotten in the pond, but it could have, but my trouble started right after that.

We have a waterfalls and I also have a 4 ball areator in the pond also

. The one that was on side yesterday am is back swimming for now, but it is turning white around the mouth like the orange one did before it died. Could it be that I need to treat the pond with an antibiotic?

I think I will go ahead and do a 20% water change and see what happens from there. They are really skittish and I think it would really stress them trying to catch them.

CherylD, Oct 6, 2017
  9. CherylD

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Is the white that develops around the fish's mouth just discoloration or does it appear to be a cottony growth?

Meyer Jordan, Oct 6, 2017
    IPA likes this.
  10. CherylD

CherylD

Appears to be discoloration that I can tell, I cannot get a hold of it to really look. I know have others laying on their sides. Changing 20% of water and hope that they pull through.

CherylD, Oct 6, 2017
  11. CherylD

audioenvy

If you go down the route of changing water you should do 20% per day for a week so that eventually all the water is replaced.

audioenvy, Oct 6, 2017
    IPA and bettasngoldfish like this.
  12. CherylD

bettasngoldfish Maria

Water changes are not something to be scared of, they can be life saving for your fish. Smaller frequent water changes are not going to hurt. If you have carbon you can use that as well to help get rid of any left over medication in the water.

bettasngoldfish, Oct 6, 2017
    IPA likes this.
  13. CherylD

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Applying arbitrary treatments to an unknown health issue can be a waste of time, money and even fatal. Would you treat pneumonia with aspirin of a common headache with Tetracycline?
    Try to catch one of the sick fish in order to perform a more complete physical exam and determination. And to possibly take some photos that you can post.

Meyer Jordan, Oct 6, 2017
    MitchM and IPA like this.
  14. CherylD

CometKeith

Sorry about your fish. In my opinion most disease results from water quality problems. In the past if I had high ammonia or nitrite I would do 15-20% water changes several times a week for a period of 3 or 4 weeks. I don't think those types of water changes are really stressful to the fish. I think the big water changes like 50% are what are bad. Every pond is different though so it's hard to say what is best for you. Good luck. I hope things stabilize and your fish are doing better.

CometKeith, Oct 7, 2017
    addy1 likes this.
  15. CherylD

CherylD

Just update on fish dying, have done a couple water changes with about 20% or a little more and fish would be ok for a week, then they start dying again. Now down to just 2 standard koi. All of the butterfly koi I had were all the first to die. Today, one of the standard koi left has died. I have talked to so many people and local Koi clubs and just have not had anyone that can figure out what is going on with the pond. The water is testing all good.

CherylD, Nov 2, 2017
  16. CherylD

sissy sissy

Could be just a lack of oxygen or outside source of a spray weed killer or fertilizer from a lawn during heavy rain .I keep y ph around 9 and as long as it is stable that does not matter .Koi like it a little high like 8 or 9 .But as koi get bigger they need more oxygen ,lots of oxygen .

sissy, Nov 2, 2017
  17. CherylD

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Where did you acquire this fish? It apparently is/was the source of your problem likely being a carrier of some pathogen that has rapidly spread to your other fish. Have you tried treating any individual fish in a quarantine tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Tetracycline?

Meyer Jordan, Nov 2, 2017
  18. CherylD

CherylD

The pond has a waterfalls and we have 2 different 4 ball aerators going now, had just one aerator but added second one with all the problems. There would be no weed killer or any way for run off with how the pond is located. I was going to do a total pond drain and cleaning but several places have told me not to it would stress the 2 remaining fish too much, plus it has gotten cold here in Indiana. I am thinking at this point what is it going to hurt.

CherylD, Nov 2, 2017
  19. CherylD

audioenvy

As Meyer alludes, if one of the last surviving fish is one of the most recently added to the pond then it may be the "typhoid Mary" fish that has introduced a disease to which it is immune.

audioenvy, Nov 2, 2017
  20. CherylD

CherylD

No, we have had this pond for 6 years now and they had all been in the pond that long, except for one we added back in April of this year and it was from a place that quarantined and I had gotten the other ones from.

CherylD, Nov 2, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question