Fish Dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have a 1,000 gallon fish pond and have had for 6 years with no problem. In last 2 weeks have lost 3 koi. I have treated the pond with a 7 day treatment of Knock Out. The pond water PH was high (9 i think) so I have put recommended stuff from a local pond store and it is down into range now. This am I have another fish floating on side and swimming with it's head down. I was told not to change water out it would stress the remaining Koi too much. Any suggestions on what could be wrong that I can correct. This is the first time we have ever had any problems with our pond. Also want to mention that my trouble started about 4 days after I found a live baby coon in our back yard, not sure if this would have anything to do with it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi, so sorry for your loss!
How many fish did you have in there before they started dying? Could be that the fish load got to be too much for your filter to keep up with (?)

I hope you can save the rest of your fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is the water test from this afternoon and pictures of 2 of the fish that have died. The other one that has been floating was at bottom of pond now still alive for now. The orange was alive on Saturday and then dead on Sunday afternoon. The other one I found in skimmer 4 days before orange one died.
Ammonia less than .25
nitrate 4.5
Alkalinity 130
Ph 8

Attachments

• IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_3857.JPG
    IMG_3857.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 321
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
How many fish and what sizes are they?
When did you add the last fish?
When did you do the last real bacterial treatment (prior to Knockout of which I'm very skeptical)?

Reaction score
Country
United States
How many fish did you have in there before they started dying? Could be that the fish load got to be too much for your filter to keep up with (?)

Only have 6 no bigger than 6 or 7 inches

Reaction score
Country
United States
How many fish and what sizes are they?
When did you add the last fish?
When did you do the last real bacterial treatment (prior to Knockout of which I'm very skeptical)?
Added one last week afraid to add anything. On had 6 the orange was the biggest added a new one back in april

Reaction score
Country
United States

There were only 6 to start

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wondering if raccoons could have injured those fish and they just died from wounds and shock? Although if the raccoons would have gotten a hold of them you would think they would have eaten at least one or more. Can the raccoons enter the pond by a shallow shelf or is your pond deep sided? If deep sided they might have tried to grab the fish and just injured them.

Ask a Question