Help on my outdoor pond. Fish are dying.

Reaction score
Country
United States
i just cleaned my pond and normally I do a full water change and I have had no problems. But yesterday I did a full water change and scrubbed my pond with a dobie scrubber and rinsed my pond out and filled back up and I put my fish back in it and all 35 fish are dead in less then 24hrs. Only 3 are left and the are the biggest being about 7inches. But are not doin good. I don’t know what to do. The only thing I did differently was use the scrubber.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Nicole-so sorry to hear you lost your fish. When you refilled your pond, did you use tap water and if so, did you treat it with something for chlorine & chloramine? What exact scrubbing did you use?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used our tap water and there is no chlorine in our city water. The only thing I did different was use a dobie scrubber from the store. I’ve had my pond for over 2 years and have never had any problems doin a full water change. But I have never scrubbed the bottom before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I would read the scrubber package. I am thinking their were chemicals on it. Sorry for your losses:(. I would do a large water change again in hopes that you could get the chemical out of the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, but I’m so sorry that you had to find us because of losing your fish!

Please tell us more about your pond — this is important information that can better help us figure out what’s going on.
  • How big is the pond (dimensions and gallons)?
  • You say 35+ fish — what kind of fish are they?
  • What did you put them in while you scrubbed the pond?
  • What kind of filtration do you have?
  • Do you have aeration like a pump that adds air?
  • Your city water doesn’t contain chlorine — but it might contain chloramine. This also has to be neutralized.
  • Where in the US do you live?
  • Did the scrubber have any soap or detergent in it? Some do.
  • Do you test your water?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had 35 gold fish about 4 inches and one shibunkin and 3 really big fish about 7inches long. My pond is about 250 to 300 gallons. And I used a scotch bright dobie. I just now lost a big one. And I have 2 more left.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do have a fountain pump that also makes a current. I have done at least 10+ full water changes in the 2 years I have had my pond. And have never lost a fish due to water change.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The scrubber was brand new out of the box. Rinsed it before use. And rinsed my pond liner after I scrubbed it and took out all remaining water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Terrible! Sorry to hear. I would be devastated. Must be the scrubbie thing you used. It's the only different thing you did. I'm really surprised that your tap water isn't treated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I was curious and looked up the scrubber. Just looks like a plastic mesh scouring pad with no chemicals to me. (Unless there is more than one kind...) Said safe for use on teflon and other easily damaged surfaces. So sorry this happened! Was there a big temperature change in the water? Or something else that would have been a huge shock to their systems?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nope same temp I’m just at a loss.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 199
Reaction score
Country
United States
Terrible! Sorry to hear. I would be devastated. Must be the scrubbie thing you used. It's the only different thing you did. I'm really surprised that your tap water isn't treated.
I just know there isn’t any Chlorine. I called the city before I put my pond in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
af957a0d-18ba-411a-9571-1d46a60d79d8_1.474bc4fe8d59be711b52839581e1fd5a.jpeg

Welcome to the forum @Nicole galindo , but sorry it's under these circumstances. The back of the package states "Not for aquarium use". My guess would be 1. Either the scrubber introduced something into the environment that killed the fish OR 2. The scrubber was too effective at killing all the good bacteria and the fish died from a massive ammonia spike.

35+ fish in less than 300 gallons is WAY too many fish which certainly didn't help the situation. If you want to start over I would do another big water change and leave the few remaining fish in there by themselves for a while and see how they do. If they do fine I would slowly add a few fish at a time (after quarantining them of course) and test my water parameters with a good liquid/drop based test kit to make sure my pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all within normal limits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would call the water department and ask if they have made any recent changes to the water. It is rare not to have chlorine or chloramine added to a public water distribution system.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wonder if the city might have changed its water protocol. Either, that, or 35 fish in 300 gallons — with no biofilm to fight the ammonia might have contributed. Maybe the pond was shallow and in full sun. Hard to say, but my vote goes to the water containing chlorine/chloramines.

Ask a Question