Fish Dying

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It sounds extremely frustrating, for sure. When you say they do not have parasites I'm assuming you mean no visible ulcers or whatnot--but did you by any chance actually send a tissue sample or scrape/scope to a lab?

I sympathize with the feeling of helplessness. It would be horrible to watch the fish die one at a time like that without any warning signs or symptoms.

Look at the photos posted earlier in this thread. The fish are most definitely ulcerated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Look at the photos posted earlier in this thread. The fish are most definitely ulcerated.

Oh wow yes I see that now. The ulcers on the orange fish are especially pronounced and the other one has numerous affected areas.

Cheryl, once a fish gets ulcers that bad you generally can't just treat the pond water to heal the fish. The fish needs to be removed, sedated so that the affected scales can be removed, and treated topically or via injection.

There are any number of reasons the fish could have become infected but those two photos lead me to believe it was several months ago. It may or may not have been caused by the fish added in April but given that you have two fish left I would recommend inspecting them closely for signs of ulcers. If they have ulcers approaching the severity of the two photos you posted earlier you may want to consider humanely terminating them and starting over--unless you want to investigate using MS-222 to sedate the fish and something like peroxide/iodine/tricide-neo topical treatment.

Ask a Question