Fish Dying

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Appears to be discoloration that I can tell, I cannot get a hold of it to really look. I know have others laying on their sides. Changing 20% of water and hope that they pull through.

If you go down the route of changing water you should do 20% per day for a week so that eventually all the water is replaced.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water changes are not something to be scared of, they can be life saving for your fish. Smaller frequent water changes are not going to hurt. If you have carbon you can use that as well to help get rid of any left over medication in the water.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Applying arbitrary treatments to an unknown health issue can be a waste of time, money and even fatal. Would you treat pneumonia with aspirin of a common headache with Tetracycline?
Try to catch one of the sick fish in order to perform a more complete physical exam and determination. And to possibly take some photos that you can post.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry about your fish. In my opinion most disease results from water quality problems. In the past if I had high ammonia or nitrite I would do 15-20% water changes several times a week for a period of 3 or 4 weeks. I don't think those types of water changes are really stressful to the fish. I think the big water changes like 50% are what are bad. Every pond is different though so it's hard to say what is best for you. Good luck. I hope things stabilize and your fish are doing better.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just update on fish dying, have done a couple water changes with about 20% or a little more and fish would be ok for a week, then they start dying again. Now down to just 2 standard koi. All of the butterfly koi I had were all the first to die. Today, one of the standard koi left has died. I have talked to so many people and local Koi clubs and just have not had anyone that can figure out what is going on with the pond. The water is testing all good.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Could be just a lack of oxygen or outside source of a spray weed killer or fertilizer from a lawn during heavy rain .I keep y ph around 9 and as long as it is stable that does not matter .Koi like it a little high like 8 or 9 .But as koi get bigger they need more oxygen ,lots of oxygen .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Added one last week afraid to add anything. On had 6 the orange was the biggest added a new one back in april

Where did you acquire this fish? It apparently is/was the source of your problem likely being a carrier of some pathogen that has rapidly spread to your other fish. Have you tried treating any individual fish in a quarantine tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Tetracycline?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Could be just a lack of oxygen or outside source of a spray weed killer or fertilizer from a lawn during heavy rain .I keep y ph around 9 and as long as it is stable that does not matter .Koi like it a little high like 8 or 9 .But as koi get bigger they need more oxygen ,lots of oxygen .
The pond has a waterfalls and we have 2 different 4 ball aerators going now, had just one aerator but added second one with all the problems. There would be no weed killer or any way for run off with how the pond is located. I was going to do a total pond drain and cleaning but several places have told me not to it would stress the 2 remaining fish too much, plus it has gotten cold here in Indiana. I am thinking at this point what is it going to hurt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
As Meyer alludes, if one of the last surviving fish is one of the most recently added to the pond then it may be the "typhoid Mary" fish that has introduced a disease to which it is immune.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Where did you acquire this fish? It apparently is/was the source of your problem likely being a carrier of some pathogen that has rapidly spread to your other fish. Have you tried treating any individual fish in a quarantine tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Tetracycline?
No, we have had this pond for 6 years now and they had all been in the pond that long, except for one we added back in April of this year and it was from a place that quarantined and I had gotten the other ones from.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
No, we have had this pond for 6 years now and they had all been in the pond that long, except for one we added back in April of this year and it was from a place that quarantined and I had gotten the other ones from.

Is the one you added in April still alive?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is the one you added in April still alive?
Yes that is one that is still alive. It's weird all of my butterfly died first, now the standard koi are dying. They do not have parasites, just very frustrating nothing has worked. All my problems started it seems when I found a baby coon in my backyard, not sure if it had been in pond or not. Water has been changed enough to have been a complete change.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't know of a disease that a raccoon can transmit to fish. I know they can carry roundworms, rabies and leptospirosis but don't think fish can get these. Unless the raccoon had walked in something and went into your pond w/some kind of poison on its fur. Sounds like it all points to that last fish you put in there. Unless your older fish somehow got a disease first and the new fish will be the last to get symptoms and die. It is a mystery for sure!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
it was from a place that quarantined and I had gotten the other ones from.

Was this a breeder/hatchery or a retail vendor? This fish could very well be asymptomatic if it is indeed a carrier. This would not show up in quarantine. No way to know for sure exactly what the pathogen may be without having a necropsy performed and these can get costly.
I agree with @j.w in that it is highly unlikely that the source of this problem was the baby coon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
They do not have parasites, just very frustrating nothing has worked.

It sounds extremely frustrating, for sure. When you say they do not have parasites I'm assuming you mean no visible ulcers or whatnot--but did you by any chance actually send a tissue sample or scrape/scope to a lab?

I sympathize with the feeling of helplessness. It would be horrible to watch the fish die one at a time like that without any warning signs or symptoms.

Ask a Question