Fish dying

Reaction score
Hi

Newbie to the site so hello

Over the past couple of weeks i have had quite afew fish die:confused:

My pond has been set up and built last october, no fish where put into the pond until late spring. Every thing has been great until the past few week when i have noticed that this years baby fish have started dying. I had to take out at least 8 yesterday and 2 today.

Also lost 2 of my big fish no signs of damage to them at all.

The water is good i have tested it all readings at zero:bouncycig:

I do have some charcoal which i use for my tropical fish tanks and i was wondering if i place it in a large cloth bag and put it in the return waterflow it may help as all i can think of is my poor fish have an illness.

My only other concern is HERON, DUCK Attack its very hard to see all of my fish as they hide under a very large water lilly, could it be that the dead fish are the ones left dying after a fishing feeding frenzzy?????

OK i know i have gone on a lot but i am stuck as to what is going on here:confused: i cant net the pond as its all hard lanscaping around it i have done all i can to deter the Herons and ducks in other ways (Jack Russell being the Anti Heron Missile).:confused:

Tracey

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The ones that have died, do you see damage to them? color change?
What kind of fish?

post pictures of your pond and set up, all information helps

Reaction score
Hi Addy

Thanks for quick reply, No damage to the fish and i have just taken out another small 2" baby. no colour change and i am sure they are goldfish although they are still a greenish colour.

I am unable to post photo as i have no clue how to do this a quick idea of the pond is as follows.... around 20ft by 18ft shallow at about 1 foot sloping to 4ftone side of the pond is afast drop no room for plants. i have 2 lillys in the pond and several plants all growing well. 2 pumps one feeds the Bio filter with UV, outlet down the waterfall and the other Just feeds the waterfall to help with greater flow.

the water is gin clear and i have tested and as i said all clear so no clue there.

i have goldies and koi in the pond around 40 fish altogether

Just got back from shopping and i have 3 more goldfish looking sad and away from the other fish BOY i am a loss as to what is going on here, i would appreciate some advice and as to the use of the charcoal i would put it in the flow of the pond ??? what do you think. HELP

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i dont think charcoal will help..do you do water changes weekly ? also have you got an airstone in the pond ...they help with oxygen i know your pond is quite big but 40 fish sounds like a lot for a new pond ...what type of test kit are you using ? only some dont give a true reading

Reaction score
Hi Stroppy

Yep i do water changes although its more like water top ups this year as the pond level drops so quickly in this heat, i live in a very dry part of the country. No i do not have an airstone i thought that the amount of water dropping down the waterfall 3 steps would air the pond enough. i use a test kit that i also use for my fish tanks and it gives very clear and accurate readings you almost feel like a scientist when you are doing the tests.

when i say 40 fish most are small to med in size and some are only tiddy this years babys, i would have thought if the water and conditions where not good the fish wouldn't breed so well.

i have spent a lot of time thinking anout what i could be doing wrong and i cant think of a thing. I took out some of the plants this week and trimed some of the longest shoots and did notice leach !! is that normal?? could this be the problem?

Tracey

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
For starters, since you mentioned predators, do you cover your pond at night and when you are not at home? Is your dog guarding the pond day and night? Raccoons hunt a t night and can cause damage to a fish they tried to get.
When I started covering mine, the losses stopped. i also use infra red alarms to alert me to any predator.

Reaction score
THANK YOU

Every one has been so kind, Racoons !!! as much as i would love one we have no such thing here in England. :)

Tom (jack russell) has a double glass door day and night to view the pond and trust me the yappy little critter would hear the Heron a mile off, and if he misses it Jed (border collie ) Has his Radar on full time,

So between us i am sure Mr H ron keeps his distance , being in a farming village we do have plenty of herons ducks fox badger and they have paid visits to the pond :surfing: seen em but they dont stay long when all wholey hell breaks out of the kitchen doors full on chase.

No more dead fish today i am still cluless as to what is happening all i can do is keep up maintenance i am going to do a clean up and water change this weekend not too much though. so hoovering pond bottoms we go:goldfish:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
good luck to you, let us know how it goes

Reaction score
Right i got home from working today on the farm and i had another dead fish and 2 more babys:twisted:

I have just put up a trip wire round the pond had to place pots with sticks in to attach the black twine to ok the pots look stupid but the wire can not be seen:yikesu:

SO i do believe I have a preditor HERON i think, and as it is not allowed to shoot the little Bu***rs i will just have to try and trip him/her up. no sleep for me tonight until it gets to dark and an early morning vigil on the pond.:)

Note to self..... Next time i spend thousands on a pond make sure its too flippin deep for a heron to stand in..

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i think if it were a heron you wouldnt be finding dead fish it would have eaten them ... is there much muck on the bottom of the pond ? also you might want to get in touch with your water suplier as i read in our local paper this morning that fish have been dieing in ponds after water changes the water company are warning people not to do water changes at the moment (thinking maybe to much chlorine) it might be ok in your area but theres no harm in checking with them

Ask a Question