Fish dying

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
That was the thing that keep ringing in my ears as I read through this thread. You say you are doing a lot of water changes. What water are you using? Is it chlorinated? Are you removing it first or are you just hoping it will be to little to matter? Is there chlorimine (sure I spelled that wrong) in your water. Chlorimine will not disapate on its own. My understanding is you have to chemicaly remove it? You may want to hold off on the water changes as much as possible until you know if that could be the problem.

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my fish on friday they started dying but no damage on them so i took them to the local pond shop and they did a scraping just behind the gill and they had fluke a deadly parisite but not noticable to the naked eye so i would just take them in if you get the chance before there all gone
~marino~

Reaction score
With that many losses over such a short period it sounds to me more like you've got a disease going, either viral or bacterial, rather than a predator problem.

Perhaps try salting the pond?

Had you added any new fish recently?

Reaction score
You talk about how hot it gets, with your pond being so shallow, makes me wonder how high your temps really get. Super high temps paired with no air stone could cause death from lack of oxygen and literally simmering your fish. Temps would have to get above 90, However your waterfall should provide enough water agitation for aeration. Can I get a few photos of your setup. Generally with flukes your fish would be gasping for air, irritated gills and weird looking gills.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
you have individual fish deaths rather than a fish kill, and if it is predators you would probably just be missing fish without knowing what happened to them or with fish fragments from a leftover lunch.

what is the condition of the fish carcasses? discolorations? look at the gills through the operculum and try to determine the gill tissue color. check the entire body for lesions. are the fins discolored on living fish? what about eye condition?

your pond volume is very large, approximately 9000 to 10000 gallons, so water changes would involve 10 percent volumes weekly.

temperature? types of fish? fish behavior during feeding? are any fish isolating themselves? hanging around air oxygen sources like waterfalls and inlet pipes?

lots of questions here to get an effective hypothesis. fish behavior, especially during feeding, is a great indicator. let us know.

Ask a Question