Fish in the winter?

Reaction score
What do you guys do with your fish in the winter. We've only had our pond for one winter. My husband set up a tank in the house and we brought them in last winter, but don't really want to do that this year.

thanks

Reaction score
I keep my fish in the pond. As long is it is deep enough to not freeze to the bottom the fish will be okay.

Reaction score
I have heard that most people leave their fish in the pond through the winter as well. As long as it is deep enough to not freeze through to the bottom, the fish will be alright. A friend of mine keeps a tube frozen into the ice so she can check to make sure its not freezing too much.

TheWriteKind

Reaction score
Mine stay out in my pond as well. I think the general rule is 3 feet deep to winter your fish. Of course, I guess it would depend on how harsh your winters are.

Reaction score
Thank you all for you advice. I'm thinking we will keep them in the pond all winter. It should be deep enough. Thank again and have a great day.

Reaction score
If your pond isn't deep enough you can also add a pond de-icer. I have one of those as well for when it gets really cold. It keeps a small area of the surface open for the gases to escape.

Reaction score
What exactly is a pond de-icer? Is it some sort of chemical? Or a mechanical contraption?

Reaction score
A pond de-icer is a little electric device that you have to plug in. It floats on top of the pond. It heats up to about 34 degrees, just enough to keep it's spot free of ice.

Ask a Question