Have you lost fish in winter? Any why?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Interesting in your stories and where you might went wrong.

Also what is the longest you went without feeding?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Magzire, I lost almost all my fish during my first winter (2012/2013) because of organic matter decomposition and lack of good aeration.
I have learned a lot since then about outdoor ponds and never or rarely feed my fish. My fish are under ice for 6 months with no chance for me to feed and they now survive the winter ice cover with no deaths.
You have a thin layer of algae growing on submerged areas of your pond so depending on your fish type and population for your pond size, there will be enough natural sources of food for the fish to live on and thrive.
Keep your fish population low, assess what kind of biodiversity your pond has (bugs, flies, snails, etc), and don't worry about it.
If your pond is fairly new and clean you may need to supplement the fish feeding, but if you have any algae (which you should) your fish will be fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Stopped feeding two weeks ago.

Last year I lost 4 fish due to the winter and almost lost a fifth. Really it was my fault I lost the fourth one cause I returned the fish to the pond when it got better.. Should have kept it inside for the rest of the winter. Fancy goldfish of poor quality dont do well outside in the winter, that's what I learned. All the ones that I got from solid breeders did great outside.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have had my pond since 2004 and have only lost one fish over the winter. I stop feeding end of October and start to feed again in the middle of March.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When I first got my 12 goldfish I never fed them for years. They ate all the vegetation, bugs, worms etc. that fell into the pond. They did fine. Now I feed them, about 100 of them now, cuz I enjoy them coming to me. I don't think you could do this w/koi tho as they need more food for their bellies. I stop feeding them now when the temps get below 50F and then start up again in the Spring when over 50F.
If I lose a fish it's usually in the beginning of Spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
When I first got my 12 goldfish I never fed them for years. They ate all the vegetation, bugs, worms etc. that fell into the pond. They did fine. Now I feed them, about 100 of them now, cuz I enjoy them coming to me. I don't think you could do this w/koi tho as they need more food for their bellies. I stop feeding them now when the temps get below 50F and then start up again in the Spring when over 50F.
If I lose a fish it's usually in the beginning of Spring.

Yep, that's when I lost my 4 fish... Spring is when you should be afraid...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I haven't lost a fish, since I began keeping koi. About 12 years ago, we had an electrical mal function in the built in UV light, in a filter, and lost shubunkin :(

I worry the most, as we head into Spring. This is the first year I've covered my pond and am curious to see if it makes any difference in water evaporation and Spring start up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The only winter loss we ever had was a comet that swam over the negative edge and froze to death.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I lost fish during the winter of 2014, but it was user error and avoidable had I known better. I brought them indoors because I was worried about them being in the pond through winter. Ironically, I lost almost all of the ones I brought indoors, but all of the babies I left in the pond survived, and I still have them today.

I stopped feeding mine toward the end of October and likely won't be able to feed them again until April. It feels weird the first time you stop feeding them, until you realize they'll be just fine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Never lost a fish but came close to loosing them all during a snow storm back in 2010 .My fault little pump was tied on top of a planter with lava rock in it and one of the fish knocked it sideways and water was squirting out of the pond .Only had a foot of water in the pond when I caught it .Ice that was on top had caved in .Now I have electrical conduit across my pond and tie my pumps to that and they just hang in the pond at different heights and also bought cameras so I can see what is going on at the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've never lost a fish during the winter months but my ponds never get below 55 degrees F.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I quit feeding my fish in September and don't feed till about April or May. Depending on weather...
I never lose fish over winter, and on occasion I have lost the odd goldfish over last 26 years of wintering my ponds.

Come spring my ponds look awesome and water is always crystal clear cause I keep most of my pumps running, as my ponds run all winter long, water flows through all four ponds, kinda like a creek, from pond to pond. That way water is much fresher than a stagnant pond that has no water movement all winter.

Ask a Question