Fish look appealing and interesting, but this owlet knows a sure thing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
After 8 hours of storms I went out to see how things looked and heard a little owlet somewhere nearby. I couldn't see her, so I checked my phone (as you do). When I looked up she was directly in front of me on the fence - silent as anything could be. She sat for a bit till an unidentified white greyhound pestered her, then took off to the neighbor's metal roof. She was slipping and sliding around and a passing car noticed her and stopped. She sat and watched them back until they finally had to go.
P1060010.jpg

P1060047.jpg

Then today at 6am while I was editing last nights videos, I realized it wasn't the videos that I was hearing, but an owlet outside. There she sat on the canopy watching the goldfish while steadily calling to her folks for a snack. Guess she figured to cover all the bases.
P1060095 (1).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
When ours watch the goldfish, they sort of act like a cats watching birds! They shuffle their feet a little and bob their heads around. Their eyes get even bigger and wilder looking than usual! That's when I go out on the balcony and say "No snacking here! Go get a chipmunk - we have thousands!" :LOL:
Aren't they so fun to watch? :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
When ours watch the goldfish, they sort of act like a cats watching birds! They shuffle their feet a little and bob their heads around. Their eyes get even bigger and wilder looking than usual! That's when I go out on the balcony and say "No snacking here! Go get a chipmunk - we have thousands!" :LOL:
Aren't they so fun to watch? :love:
They're soooo fun! Whenever she see her parents approaching the head starts bobbing and feet start moving! And when she finds food -- she covers it with her wings and prances around .... LMAO. And I've seen her return to a spot where she had a really good meal and show the same excitement as when she ate it! Absolutely fascinating to watch. And she talks all the time - I went out on the porch a bit ago and she whistled (at me?) . Coincidence I'm sure...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Little owlet slept in the trees next door yesterday. She would occasionally whistle when I walked near. At dusk she dropped down to observe from the power pole and then turned to see what the greyhounds were doing. No whistling - off she went.
P1060129.JPG
P1060126.JPG

Attachments

• 1690113564291.png
    1690113564291.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 1

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do hope your power reliability isn't on that pole Wow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Soon she will be sitting on your shoulder View attachment 159328
AND I WILL BE READY! Well sort of, I really don't want her trusting people -- too many jerks around. So I minimize my interactions - I speak to her once to let her know I'm around and then I'm quiet. No matter HOW CUTE she is, I keep quiet :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I WISH it weren't. I haven't lived near above ground utilities in decades and this crap scares me.
Let's just say I see a couple issues. But it coul stNd another decade. But I thrw away poles better than that one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So first thing this morning I see a brown bird glide into the yard and onto the canopy - yep, little owlet. I went onto the porch, said hello and began filming. She sat there for 45 minutes! I heard just one whistle so I'm betting she's soon coming of age. She sat there and watched the goldfish the whole time - couldn't care less that all the songbirds were calling her dirty names and wanting her to leave. She'd glance at me once in a while, but she was focused and I think maybe tired as she was about ready to retire for the day. I half expected her to spot a tadpole in the bog but she never came down. Eventually she went off to the woods for a nap. Here's a couple of short vids to remind you how adorable she is:

P1060165.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So first thing this morning I see a brown bird glide into the yard and onto the canopy - yep, little owlet. I went onto the porch, said hello and began filming. She sat there for 45 minutes! I heard just one whistle so I'm betting she's soon coming of age. She sat there and watched the goldfish the whole time - couldn't care less that all the songbirds were calling her dirty names and wanting her to leave. She'd glance at me once in a while, but she was focused and I think maybe tired as she was about ready to retire for the day. I half expected her to spot a tadpole in the bog but she never came down. Eventually she went off to the woods for a nap. Here's a couple of short vids to remind you how adorable she is:

View attachment 159331
Awwww cutie patootie. I want one!!

Ask a Question