Fish look appealing and interesting, but this owlet knows a sure thing

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Cuteness overload! And so cool that she chose your yard as her playground. The pond likely has something to do with that. She obviously doesn't feel threatened by you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
She was hatched in a tree that I can see from my yard...I'm kinda in their backyard :) And I'm so grateful!
I've always wanted to put up an owl bird house but was never in the right area....Could you describe the tree that she was hatched in? Is it a large tree with a big cavity in it? Just curious:) Your neighbors are SO lucky to have the perfect owl nesting site!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've always wanted to put up an owl bird house but was never in the right area....Could you describe the tree that she was hatched in? Is it a large tree with a big cavity in it? Just curious:) Your neighbors are SO lucky to have the perfect owl nesting site!
It's my best guess, but I think it's the big, gnarly tree in the back of this vid. https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ghY3i2gnUEDaRmY6
I've been able to see them multiple times on that tree during nesting. And in some of the vids one calls and the second answers and it must be in a cavity because the response is muffled. Really impossible to tell precisely where the nest is from my vantage point, but I've watched them for at least 2 nesting seasons and they seem to congregate on that one big furry tree. It's a greenway and is quite overgrown and covered in ivy. And on a slope. In the picture below, it is behind the tree near the center.

I considered an owl house when I first moved in but discovered that they have to be cleaned out regularly and needed to be about 20 feet high, so nope. As luck would have it, the owls already have a house here :)
In the last photo, the "crown" of the tree is shown covered in ivy. It's just impossible to tell what's
P1000079.JPG
what. Too bad ivy doesn't go bare in the winter. Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Attachments

• 20230411_094446.jpg
    20230411_094446.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Little Barred Owlet appears to be all grown up. She stopped by last night to count the goldfish and likely to say goodbye. She's no longer whistling to her folks, no doubt she's an independent owlet now and will soon be off. Sure will miss her :love: Just look how big and beautiful she's become!
P1060459.JPG
P1060472.JPG
P1060493.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Close to dusk yesterday I hear bluejays screaming about an invasion, so I dashed out the kitchen door to hear a pathetic owlet begging for food, over and over and over. A parent was nearby but either didn't want to get any closer to me or was fed up trying to feed their ample little owlet. So she just sat there and whistled over and over till she just couldn't stand it and went off to remind them that she was really starved. :rolleyes: A brief, jumpy vid: Just cause I'm fluffy doesn't mean I'm not hungry

Attachments

• P1060550-EDIT.jpg
    P1060550-EDIT.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 3
  • P1060552-EDIT.jpg
    P1060552-EDIT.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 4
  • P1060560-EDIT.jpg
    P1060560-EDIT.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well 2 days in a row I've had to edit owl photos - and I LOVE it! Today she swooped in and was fidgety - couldn't get her feathers right. Next thing you know she opted for a bath in the bog.
Then she jumped up in the closest tree for a drip dry.
I think she considered assaulting some goldfish at first, but decided she needed to get cleaned up instead. She cleaned up pretty darned good if you ask me especially with those white britches :love:

P1060612.JPG

P1060704.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All grown up and next year maybe a family of her own will come stop by for a visit or maybe even build a nest near you :happy:
Owl nest 8.gif

Ask a Question