Cleaning muck out manually - safe for fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I unsuccessfully tried enough times to use my shop vac to get the muck off the bottom of the pond so today I went in with a bucket, felt around for where the muck was, scooped it, and dumped it. I would have done the entire pond but I was a little concerned that mixing up all the muck into the water could create a low oxygen level situation so I did about 20%. I had a hose feeding the pond and violently disturbing the surface, 4 air stones, and a water fall going.

Do I need to worry about harming the fish by stirring the muck up or am I being overly cautious?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why didn't you put the fish into a kiddie pool or buckets even with an air stone , go to town drain the water , remove what youd like the add your new water then add the fish in a couple days like they just came from the store

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why didn't you put the fish into a kiddie pool or buckets even with an air stone , go to town drain the water , remove what youd like the add your new water then add the fish in a couple days like they just came from the store
With all due respect, I asked for an answer to a question - I didn’t ask for alternative methods. While I appreciate your willingness to help, I don’t have the means to do what you’re suggesting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the www we expect too much some times. your answer is no don't leave your fish is mud put them in separate pool a kiddie pool here is 16 dollars

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the www we expect too much some times. your answer is no don't leave your fish is mud put them in separate pool a kiddie pool here is 16 dollars
I’m not draining the water I’m scooping it from the bottom with a bucket. The water doesn’t become mud. I’m asking if the muck that gets disturbed and now becomes sediment in the water can harm the fish due to a reduction of oxygen, for example.

I live in NYC. I am restoring and taking care of the pond in our building with 25+ fish in it. There is no room for a kiddy pool.

So, again, while I appreciate your eagerness to offer alternative solutions, I’m only looking for an answer to my question (which does not involved any mud).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is safe - up to a point. Your approach of a bit at a time is a good one, especially when there's a whole lot of muck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is safe - up to a point. Your approach of a bit at a time is a good one, especially when there's a whole lot of muck.
Thank you. There are four air stones and a waterfall so I would think that there is enough oxygen moving around that whatever negative effects are created by the circulating muck are negated by the oxygenation.

But yes even going slow means I usually need to clean out my filters that day since they all get sludged up. Trying to be patient!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Stirring up that muck can release a poisonous gas, hydrogen sulfide. It smells like rotten eggs. It's toxic to fish and people. So is it safe, maybe not. Depends on how much gas, if any, is in that mud.

If you go slowly, it will likely be okay and the gas can dissipate. But the suggestion of removing the fish would be the safest. I understand that is not what you want to do, but you asked for advice and that is the best, in my opinion. And the safest. But it's just an opinion, and you certainly don't have to do it that way.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@arpunk What, you mean you don't want a kiddy pool sitting in the middle of your living room filled w/pretty fish? :joyful:
Just go slow and do a bit each day or so and all should be good. You can also take a big plastic pot w/holes in the bottom and put quilt batting in it and sit it on the side of the pond and run a hose from a pump over the top of the pot so all the fine gunk gets collected before it runs back into your pond. You will need to clean this often when it gets clogged but it works for me!

I leave mine going all the time now so I use a nicer looking pot but if a temp thing you can use any pot and then just remove when done. I also use Matala media in my permanent one now as it doesn't clog as fast.
I load my permanent one full up w/rounds of/this stuff now:

IMG_9239.JPG

IMG_9873.JPG

IMG_9887.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I unsuccessfully tried enough times to use my shop vac to get the muck off the bottom of the pond so today I went in with a bucket, felt around for where the muck was, scooped it, and dumped it. I would have done the entire pond but I was a little concerned that mixing up all the muck into the water could create a low oxygen level situation so I did about 20%. I had a hose feeding the pond and violently disturbing the surface, 4 air stones, and a water fall going.

Do I need to worry about harming the fish by stirring the muck up or am I being overly cautious?
I used to do all that but the best solution is a gravel rock surface. I was told this and it seems to be true. The rocks, pebbles etc increase the surface area for the sludge eating "good" bacteria to do their work. Also increasing plant life will also help.

Ask a Question