Fish love oats.

Reaction score
I feed live crickets and mealworms to my pond turtles and frogs, and occasionally to the fish (koi, minnows and goldfish). The mealworms are kept in the fridge in a container with some rolled oats (oatmeal). I found out purely by accident, when I happen to be taking the mealworms out of the container and spilled some of the oats in the pond, that the fish love them. In fact they seem to prefer the rolled oats to their regular pellet food.
I've been feeding them quite a bit of rolled oats lately and they don't seem to be having any ill effects. At first I wondered if they would have trouble digesting the raw oats, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. I still feed them their regular food, but when I bring out the meal worms for the frogs and turtles the fish get some oatmeal, and they can't seem to get enough. I'm surprised even the minnows seem to love them since they seem to prefer live food like the frogs and turtles, but they also gobble the oatmeal down as fast as they can get it.
Nutritionally oatmeal is lacking some vitamins that the regular koi and goldfish food I feed them has, but in some ways it might be healthier (lower in fat, higher in fiber).
Anybody ever feed their fish oatmeal?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting, I have never really thought about feeding fish oatmeal but I do feed it to my rabbits and guinea pigs (Quaker Old fashioned Oats) not as their regular diet but a part of it.

Here is a list of nutritional info:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 40 G
Servings Per Container 30
Amount Per Serving
Calories
Calories From Fat 25
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3 G
Saturated Fat .5 G 2
Trans Fat 0 G
Cholesterol 0 Mg 0
Sodium 0 Mg 0
Total Carboydrate 27 G 9
Dietary Fiber 4 G 15
Sugars 1 G
Protein 5 G
Vitamin A
Vitamin C 0
Calcium 0
(-) Information is currently not available for this nutrient.

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:**

** Percent Daily Values listed below are intended for adults and children over 4 years of age. Foods represented or purported to be for use by infants, children less than 4 years of age, pregnant women, or lactating women shall use the RDI's that are specified for the intended group provided by the FDA.

Calories: 2,000 2,500
Total Fat Less than 65g 80g
Sat. Fat Less than 20g 25g
Cholesterol Less than 300mg 300mg
Sodium Less than 2400mg 2400mg
Potassium 3500mg 3500mg
Total Carbohydrate 300mg 375mg
Dietary Fiber 25mg 30mg
Calories per gram:

Fat 9•Carbohydrate 4•Protein 4

Reaction score
Interesting, I have never really thought about feeding fish oatmeal but I do feed it to my rabbits and guinea pigs (Quaker Old fashioned Oats) not as their regular diet but a part of it.
I never really thought about feeding rolled oats to fish either, it just sort of happened by accident with me, but for sure the fish like them. In fact if I throw in a mix of rolled oats and their regular food they seem to go for the oats first.
Try feeding some to your fish, let us know how they like em.

Ask a Question