Fish Not Eating

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK, I'm not a fish health expert, but according to the OP the fish were acting different within a matter of four hours. Unless fish parasites are the fastest acting parasites in the world, common sense would tell me that it takes a bit more time than that for parasites to A. spread and B. cause noticeable health problems. But maybe I'm ignorant of the super powers of aquatic parasites. I always remember "when you hear hoof beats, think horses - not zebras".

Hopefully I won't be run over by a herd of stampeding zebras some day...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is why they really need that test kit ,bad .I just wonder why it was so fast .If they were just freaked out by the company or maybe some critter had visited them before that and the scare of the newcomer and plants just freaked them out .I know I would be a little scared by all the fussing around .I get freaked out when i am cooking and every one wants to help .;)Doesn't happen often so WOW when it does

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
From reading the initial post we know-
1. The pond was about 5 weeks old when the first fish were added. The first fish were added 3 weeks ago. One fish was just added.
2. The skittish behavior did not start or, at least, was not noticed until Alpravinosh physically entered the pond.
3. This pond is located either in a sub-tropical/tropical climate or in the Southern Hemisphere.
4. None of the usual signs of Ammonia or Nitrate toxicity have manifest.

I rarely enter my pond but when I do my fish exhibit the same behavior as described. All animals are keenly aware of their environment and are acutely aware of any change in this environment, no matter how small. When a threat is perceived, they will exhibit "flight" reflex. This is exactly what my fish exhibit and what Alpravinosh's fish have exhibited. If someone startles you, you are likely to react in some physical manner. Is that a reason to rush to the emergency room, I think not.
If the new fish has introduced a pathogen into the pond, it will take several days to weeks for the other fish to show signs of infection as Lisak1 intimated, not overnight. Plus there is an equal chance that the new fish could become infected by something that was already present in the pond.
No need to exhibit paranoia just because a few fish had the Bejezzuz scared out of them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
With all due respect I never claimed to be an expert in keeping fish or their health. You can believe what ever you like as will I :)

This is just my opinion after having kept several types of fish over the last fifteen years. I have yet to have healthy fish in an aquarium or pond not eat because I added plants or even added some new decor or after doing maintenance.

Unfortunately in my earlier days I did make some of the very mistakes others here post about and lost some fish. So just by experience I'm sharing and trying to be helpful.

Isn't that why we are all here?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The op says the fish didn't eat even the next day. That's not normal in my opinion for healthy fish.

I'm still leaning towards water quality. Although we need more info to actually confirm the problem.

Also as for adding new fish to an established pond without quarantine you are taking a huge risk ( I think most people would agree) I don't think anyone felt parasites caused the issue within hours.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is I wonder where he lives and what plants and what temps the water is also .He or she does not mention filters either .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My Koi have gone for as long a 5 days without eating supplemental food after being 'spooked' by some unknown source. Water quality was not an issue

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know when the dog scared mine it was awhile before my koi would come to the top but the goldfish are little piggies .Can't really remember how long but aggie and bert did not come up to eat for at least a week .I even tried there favorite food strawberries and blueberries and nothing .Scared me for awhile but figured they were really spooked because they did not look injured .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My Koi have gone for as long a 5 days

Same here - we lost two fish on subsequent nights to what we believe was a skunk. The rest of the fish remained skittish for many days after. After four or five days, we could toss food in the pond and walk away and they would come up and eat. But if we stayed pond side, they stayed at the bottom, giving us the side-eye. Well, technically they always give us the side-eye, but you get my point.

We also met a pond owner who;s pond suffered a heron attack. One of his fish was stabbed by the bird, picked up and then dropped back in the pond as the bird flew away. He looked for the fish for days in his pond and finally just assumed it had died. The fish reappeared a full year later in great shape. Just nervous.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Also as for adding new fish to an established pond without quarantine you are taking a huge risk ( I think most people would agree) I don't think anyone felt parasites caused the issue within hours.

I wasn't questioning your knowledge or experience - but you did say that in addition to the water quality concerns
"a new fish was added to the pond without quarantine (big risk for introducing parasites and or bacteria and illness)".

I just thought it seemed highly unlikely that one would see a reaction to a parasite or bacteria being introduced from a new fish that quickly. That was just my opinion though - I could be completely off base on that assumption.

I get in my pond on a regular basis. My fish have gone from downright terrified, to a little nervous, to just a little curious, to downright nosey. Now they swim around and between my legs and nudge and poke and in general let me know they are there. A couple of the big ones even like to swim under my hand if I put it under the water and get their back stroked. They are little attention hogs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know when the dog scared mine it was awhile before my koi would come to the top but the goldfish are little piggies .Can't really remember how long but aggie and bert did not come up to eat for at least a week .I even tried there favorite food strawberries and blueberries and nothing .Scared me for awhile but figured they were really spooked because they did not look injured .

That's interesting sissy, I wouldn't have guessed koi were so skittish.

And yes, Goldfish are little or big piggies lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Even when I moved my koi last year to rebuild the pond they would not come near me .What ever side of the tank I stood on they would go to the other side.Aggie also gets mad at me at times and will become very unsociable .Then there other times where she will fight bert to get petted first and more .I have found they have very interesting personalities .Aggie loves all fruit and bert prefers watermelon or oranges.The one thing I love about koi is that and not there size or fussiness

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the clarification Lisa :)

I only brought up the quarantine for future reference as something to watch for ;)

I really have limited experience with the pond stuff. And no experience with koi at all. I am much more comfortable with keeping fish in aquariums (fancy goldfish and bettas being my favorite) My fancies will eat from my hands and even let me touch them without freaking out. Not so much with the commons though.

That's pretty cool you get in the pond and the fish interact with you
My pond is too small for that. The most interaction I get from my commons is at feeding time:LOL:

Ask a Question