Fish not recovering from fin rot

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all

After battling fin rot for the last two months we have most of the fish back and healthy. Some still have kinked/thickened tails but are fine. One has some little red streaks in her tail but still seems ok.

However one fish is getting steadily worse. His head is turning yellow and his tail is getting more and more red each day, down to the base! He has had multiple different antibiotics (including injections from the vet) and we have been testing the water and keeping it good daily. He's had kanaplex, tri sulpha and some big injection from the vet.

Water quality
* Ammonia Level (pond) 0-0.25 max (if we get any reading we add Prime and water change)
* Nitrite Level (pond) 0
* Ammonia Level (tap water) 0
* Nitrite Level (tap water) 0
* Ph Level, pond (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine) 7.4, 0 chlorine - KH is 6 turns on out test kit
* Ph Level, tap water (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine) 7.4 - KH 4 not sure of the rest
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API pond and freshwater kits (drops)

Other useful information:
* Water temperature? low 20s Celcius
* Pond size and how long has it been running? 1400 liters, running for years with no issues until now
* What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Oases 150 liter filter
* How often do you change the water and how much? weekly change about 200 litess
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? today - 200 liters
* How many fish in the pond and their type? 19 various goldfish from small to large and different types
* What kind of water additives or conditioners have you used? seachem prime and stability while we cycled the pond after a massive drama and cycle crash two months ago, then we had someone come and clean the filter out a month ago and they used the garden hose (despite being an "expert") so we've been getting the cycle back again and now have nitrates showing
* What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day mix of high protein pellets, plus they love watermelon and frozen worms
* Any new fish added to the pond recently? about 6 months ago we added three newbies and some plants, then we had a parasite on the plants come and everything went south, i got it back and then the gardeners filled the sump and filter with dirt which has lead to this mess
* Any medications added to the pond? potassium permangenate at the start (went brown almost straight away as we didn't find out until later that water conditioner deactivated it)
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and pond - it has had melafix, stresscoat, stability and another good bacteria added, prime and equilibrium (our water is very soft so we add things)
* Any unusual findings on the fish? fin rot/congested fins that is not responding to any antibiotic
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? One fish is not well

I think the pond has just been under stress for so many months with the parasite first then the filter drama/fin rot then as it's cycling again the cycle get smashed again by the filter cleaning people. I have been measuring it DAILY though to keep levels under control and if the ammonia spikes I am out there doing water changes and adding Prime to help the fish. The water quality got so good that they all started breeding and smashing into each other so on the advice of the fish vet I added in heaps of soft fake plants and obstacles to slow them down.

What do I do with this guy? He's getting worse. I put him in a hospital tank yesterday with aqua one broad spectrum and he literally lost his bowels everywhere he was so stressed. I put him back in the pond and he was much happier. But he is definitely worse today despite the water being perfect.

At what stage do you give in?
Is there anything else I can try?
Is the bacteria possibly antibiotic resistant?
Is he infecting the others?
Is there something possibly in the water that I can't measure?

The vet is on holidays and I really need some help.

thanks so much

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
OH my have you been through it. I'm of no help but wishing you all the best. Hoping others with expertise will step up to assist you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think you’ve done all you could, and more than most would. There was probably just too much damage for him to recover. You can either let nature take its course, or euthanize him. So sorry.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The one thing i will note is your kh /gh could be higher especially if outdoors in the weather. Your kh if 6 is a 100. 150 is ideal this helps to stabilize your ph and ph swings daily . Ph that drops or changes too much too fast is worse than a high ph by far. Adding sodium bicarbonate/ baking soda can raise both the ph and the kh . the ph will never go higher than 8.4 which is fine. Mix up the baking soda in water and add it around the pond gradually . You have apparently found a quality vet check with them as to my suggestion

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I second @GGBUDD's suggestion. Those numbers are marginal and there is no room for a cushion.

The nitrogen cycle produces acid, so the KH and pH will fall over time. Also, rain tends to be acidic, very much so in some areas of the country. That can rapidly drop your pH and KH.

With so little room for error, your pond could have a pH crash leading to serious problems.

I prefer to have more buffer to prevent that. You have barely enough and that can change very quickly.

Ask a Question