Sick Kio Fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a big in ground koi pond for the past 3years had no issues with any of my fish now I realized on of my koi has white patches on multiple part of the body , initially I was thinking the fish is loosing its scales form rubbing against sharp rock. but now the patches shows more. I like to get some help knowing what is it if somebody had a fish with this condition
thanks

Attachments

• View recent photos.jpg
    View recent photos.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most problems with fish are associated with water issues. So we normally start with the water first.

Do you have liquid testing kits for pH, KH, ammonia, nitrate and nitrate. If you do, please do those tests and post the results here.

If you don't have them, please get them. We don't recommend the testing strips because they are not as accurate as the liquid type tests.

This might possibly be koi pox, but that is a lot of pox.

Is the fish alive and is it as thin as it appears in the photo?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for replying
I do change the water very often with water that comes from Colorado river, from small canals designed to irrigate local farms.
the water looks very clear, the pond is large 45 Ft X 18Ft X 5Ft, never had a problem with water.
the fish in the photo is a life fish, I have others with small patches, probably this one shows more because of the dark color,
I have a strip test , not a liquid test kit.
If you know any good liquid test kit for pond water please post it for me
Thanks alot

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You use irrigation water to fill your pond? From a canal? I wouldn’t recommend that without getting that water tested for contaminants that could be and likely are running off into the canal. Things like fertilizers and animal waste come to mind. I also wouldn’t recommend it because - well too many reasons fo explain, but the presence of parasites is a big one. While “natural” sounds great and good, natural waterways are teeming with life forms, some of them not great for pond kept fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Clear water doesn't mean healthy water. As @Lisak1 said, water can contain many toxins and microscopic organisms that can be harmful.

You can get an API Master Testing Kit that has most of what you need. A KH test will need to be purchased separately.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That’s a big pond and I understand why you would use irrigation water. As mentioned above, the water contains chemicals and life forms picked up during its travels from the mountains. You will have to live with a certain amount of uncertainty, and the fish will too. I wouldn’t put any valuable fish in there and would remove sick ones for treatment in a hospital pool. Can you post photos of the pond?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here is an article about skin diseases in koi. Ideally, you would have a veterinarian take scrapings to diagnose the specific cause.

Ask a Question