Fish Tank in wall

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hello,

I have created a plan for a brace-less tank design similar to this thread. Think of it as an in-wall fluval edge with and inch of floating base.

Do you think the tank will be ok?

http://a360.co/2mQH5fi
or https://myhub.autodesk360.com/ue2bfd6f0/shares/preview/mp4/SH7f1edQT22b515c761e49f86c9decf8d300/1/Edge+Wall+Aquarium+-+[Waterjet+Top]+[Inset+Base+&+R.Top]+[R.Bottom+Bulkhead].mp4?fileMode=view

• 12mm glass (opti-white low iron Pilkington). Outside dimensions: 110cm x 65cm x 24cm.
  • The base of the tank sits inside the outer panes.
  • The base of the wall is about 2cm less than the outside tank edge.
  • The top lip of the tank is about 5cm to 6cm high and inset to the tank top
  • The blocks on either side of the lip will be glued to the top panel of the tank and used to keep the tank stable if someone leans on it by transferring the load weight onto the wall sides its contained within. (The top part of the wall it re-enforced to take such loads although not shown on the animation).

PLEASE look at the way the panels are attached to each other. I think this assembly method will give the best side support but have read that it may be better to align the side panels so that they sit on top of the base rather than its edge. I prefer the edge aligned look better and thought it would somehow reduce the vertical stress on the base overhang.

I also prefer not to use thicker glass base but an not opposed to it if is deemed necessary.

Needing some advice from anyone with experience please.
Thanks in advance

Welcome newfish99!

It would be best if you created a new thread for your topic.

Having said that, are you building this yourself?
I would not recommend setting the tank up this way. With a tank this size, proper support is critical. I don't think having the edges unsupported like you propose is a good long term idea.
What would your cleaning routine be? I don't see how you will gain access to the inside of the tank.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
MitchM
Ya know they are new when they use beer bottle caps as a substrate...and sharks in that size tank...and the tetras........

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I got that your reply was meant to be funny - but I still don't think it was necessary to make fun of someone who you think is not as far along the learning curve as you are.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I got that your reply was meant to be funny - but I still don't think it was necessary to make fun of someone who you think is not as far along the learning curve as you are.
That's cool

Ask a Question