Goldfish not doing well after spawning (in indoor tank)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My female watonai (from raingarden!!!!) is not doing well this AM after I saw some spawning going on early in the morning. She seems bent and a little swollen on the tail part. I saw that she's still swimming around and interested in eating but still feels like she's stressed. She might've gotten stuck somewhere while spawning and got injured that way.

She is bent (about 2/3 of the body, her body seems curved) and looks very tired. Do you think she will be ok? I really hope she's ok. She's from raingarden and I dont have many goldfish left :cry:

What can i do to help her? I put a little salt in the tank just may be to help with stress but that's all i could think of.

Water's good, not ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. My indoor tank is 55g planted tank with CO2

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would separate her from the other fish (especially if you still have the crayfish in that tank as she may be prone to resting on the bottom of the tank and will be an easy target)

Make sure water is zero ammonia and zero nitrite and try and keep nitrate at 20 or under.

What are you feeding her? Is she still interested in eating?

Spawning can be deadly for the females : (

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you all. When I went back home last night she seemed much better but the male kept 'sucking?' at her vent and her vent was red so I confined the male to the little breeding net I have, he wasnt happy! But I want my girl to be able to rest without being stress. This morning I let the male out and he's did try to chase her a bit but not often so I'm leaving him there for now. If he's behaving badly again he'll be in timeout again.
She is eating. So I think she'll be fine. I was so scared :( She seems calm and just swimming around. Does not show any discomfort. I'm going to keep an eye out for a while.
Sadly I dont have any place to separate them for too long.

Ask a Question