Fish that won't breed

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@tbendl Uh, huh! I was outside this morning, watching my fish and I thought of you. And I thought to myself, "I wonder how long it will be before she decides to add fish....?" No, seriously, I really was thinking that.....!

If you were willing to get a couple of older fish, I'll bet there is a breeder somewhere close by [a relative term....] who would be able to sex some fish for you so you could have a single-gender pond. Of course, it might be that you'd have to wait for spring so as to catch them at the best time. Without looking at a map, I can't see how close you are to Hammond, LA, but Larkin [ @fishin4cars ] might be able to help you.......that is, if you chose to go with goldfish.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah it's sounding like if I want to control the population that way I will have to wait for older fish that have been sexed (not sure if that's a word, but it is now).
There is no rush, I was thinking even if I did decide to try and add fish it would have to wait until next year. I'm just thinking about all my options. I keep going back and forth on the issue... It's probably because I'm insane but prefer to define it as undecided on the swimming pets issue. I know I've driven poor j.w to the brink... lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
get fish with the pimple (called Breeding stars) ;) then you will have all male fish. ebay normally have good enough pictures that you can see the pimple on their gill plate.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah it's sounding like if I want to control the population that way I will have to wait for older fish that have been sexed (not sure if that's a word, but it is now).
There is no rush, I was thinking even if I did decide to try and add fish it would have to wait until next year. I'm just thinking about all my options. I keep going back and forth on the issue... It's probably because I'm insane but prefer to define it as undecided on the swimming pets issue. I know I've driven poor j.w to the brink... lol

Yes, "sexing" (to sex, sexing, sexed) is a legit word.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I got my walk in and made it almost all the way home w/o getting wet so I'm revived now and can put up w/ your fishlessness a bit more now :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Conversations like this makes me wish we were all at a bar/coffee shop whatever some place having a Garden Pond Forum meeting - face to face. LOL!

I love my fish. I can't believe you are having this conversation! Get some fish!

Reaction score
A little late but I vote Yea, for fish. Rosy red minnow is great, don't have to feed, full of color, no extra filtration needed! Get 12 and you will stare at them for hours!!! They are very curious all and like to hang out by me when I'm in the water.

Ask a Question