Fixing a leak + adding more depth?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys n gals I have a question. I have a leak in the pond liner and I can't seem to find the leak. I was looking at some 3" double sided pond tape and was thinking I would buy some more liner, attach it, and roll it over the edge. At the same time I was thinking I might be able to expand the pond a few inches by adding another layer of rock? Here's some pictures. Not sure if what I said makes sense. Let me know!

Attachments

• 20170720_200435.jpg
    20170720_200435.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 242
  • 20170720_200444.jpg
    20170720_200444.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 287
  • 20170720_200450.jpg
    20170720_200450.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 247

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Adding to a pond using seaming tape may prove to be a bit dicey. The biggest obstacle is any folds in the existing liner, which I am sure there are. Making the seam watertight around these folds is next to impossible.
Why not buy a larger liner?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seems very daunting to me.. I inherited this pond and didn't build it. Pretty scared to rip it up..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. I'm wondering if you really have a hole in your liner. Things to check: Are all your tubing to your filter tight. Try re-cutting the hoses and make sure they are on tight. Check you waterfall for leaks. It looks like with the uneven stone around the pond there might be a way for water to get out. You might want to pull some of the stone away and make sure there are no low points on your liner.
How much water are you losing on a daily basis? Are you sure it's not evaporation? From experience I thought I had a liner leak at various times and always found it was something else!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
if u have option for new liner then connecting it with a small canal thats best thing to save time and effort , the way ur thinking to join 2 liner is almost impossible with old liner , even if u manage to do , it will b vulnerable , manual joint is safest where least stress and pressure

1st thing is if u dont know where is the leak how will u join 2 if leak is near bottom ?

check the water fall stop it , also check piping , borders , evaporation , then see where the water stops at what level , u can get idea of leak , also check at the borders for damp soil .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you turned everything off and waited to see how low it sinks? I lose a lot of water this time of year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I'm wondering if you really have a hole in your liner. Things to check: Are all your tubing to your filter tight. Try re-cutting the hoses and make sure they are on tight. Check you waterfall for leaks. It looks like with the uneven stone around the pond there might be a way for water to get out. You might want to pull some of the stone away and make sure there are no low points on your liner.
How much water are you losing on a daily basis? Are you sure it's not evaporation? From experience I thought I had a liner leak at various times and always found it was something else!

I have not had a problem at all for the past year I have been living here. I checked all the tubing and things look ok. I do think it is with the uneven stone. I have been stepping on the stones around the outside and it has made it loose (i now know you shouldnt do that). I am currently losing about 2" per day. It seems to cut off at a certain point and then goes back to just normal evaporation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
if u have option for new liner then connecting it with a small canal thats best thing to save time and effort , the way ur thinking to join 2 liner is almost impossible with old liner , even if u manage to do , it will b vulnerable , manual joint is safest where least stress and pressure

1st thing is if u dont know where is the leak how will u join 2 if leak is near bottom ?

check the water fall stop it , also check piping , borders , evaporation , then see where the water stops at what level , u can get idea of leak , also check at the borders for damp soil .

I know it's not near the bottom because it stops leaking @ about 4" down. I have checked all the piping and have accounted for normal evaporation. There is damp soil at the wall opposite the waterfall. I have checked everywhere there with a magnifying glass and do not see any rips.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It does sound like something happened near the edge. The best solution is to try to find the spot - you should be able to detect water outside of the pond edge... a damp spot at the very least. Otherwise you may have to examine the edge stone by stone.

I'm a big believer that all ponds should be built so the rock edges are stable and can be stepped on. If a pond edge is constructed properly, walking on it shouldn't cause issues.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
new liner would be less of a headache and less of a worry as when it will fail .You sure don't want winter to set in and it leak and if it is going to leak that is when it will happen

Reaction score
Country
United States
It does sound like something happened near the edge. The best solution is to try to find the spot - you should be able to detect water outside of the pond edge... a damp spot at the very least. Otherwise you may have to examine the edge stone by stone.

I'm a big believer that all ponds should be built so the rock edges are stable and can be stepped on. If a pond edge is constructed properly, walking on it shouldn't cause issues.

Any tips how I could fix the edges so they are permanent?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Any tips how I could fix the edges so they are permanent?

It looks like you have steppers (small flagstone) for your edging rock, which is great - very easy to stabilize. HOWEVER stacked steppers are not easy to stabilize... so it's a two edged sword there. You want the edge rock to be resting on the ground - not on top of another rock. You need to start with your edge (the ground level) to be relatively flat. Your liner comes up and over that flat edge and extends behind your edging rock. Place the rock on top of the liner, making sure the rock is level and stable and then pull the liner up behind the rock, folding the edge flat against the back of the rock and then bring your dirt or mulch up against the back of the rock to conceal the liner. It's much easier to see than to explain. Here's a link to the Ponddigger demonstrating various edging approaches:

He's a great teacher and loves to share his knowledge. The whole series on How to Build a Fish Pond is great. This one deal specifically with edging.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I know it's not near the bottom because it stops leaking @ about 4" down. I have checked all the piping and have accounted for normal evaporation. There is damp soil at the wall opposite the waterfall. I have checked everywhere there with a magnifying glass and do not see any rips.
4 inch is very much manageable , u can redo the edges , make the pond narrower from top , means bring the borders closer to center that will make liner few inches higher which will lift the leak above ur desired water level , once u have covered the leak u can add new portion of pond and join them both

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I found the spot where the water was coming out. Still can't find the leak in the area. Here are a couple pics if it helps at all?

Attachments

• 20170721_200848.jpg
    20170721_200848.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 20170721_200839.jpg
    20170721_200839.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 222

Ask a Question