Question on pumps - fixing up a neglected koi pod / waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
The house I purchased had a koi pond / waterfall. The pond is about 30 - 40 feet away from the waterfall and is roughly 6 to 8 feet below the height of the fall.

I just finished cleaning the pond out which contained a lot of muck. It came with an Aquascape Aquasurge 4000-8000) pump which seems to be operable.

I've noticed the skimmer, also an aquascape product, has two openings and one has a check valve which would connect to the pump. I found the documents on the skimmer and it says the two holes would support dual pumps.

I ran a garden hose down from the waterfall to ensure it was connected - water came out of both of them at different rates.

Would the secondary hole, without the check valve be an overflow opening or should I hook another pump up....I'm still vague on this.

Attachments

• C10C7F84-1767-40FD-83C0-D6A41F2D2403.jpeg
    C10C7F84-1767-40FD-83C0-D6A41F2D2403.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 181

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You could hook up another pump, but you need to know what size pump your skimmer can accommodate. Can figure it out by brand of skimmer and weir opening (assuming it is an Aquascape) Also, is there enough room in their for another pump.

For now I would plug the open pipe, at that distance and height your going to want your pump pushing all the water it can through the waterfall.

I have a variable speed Aquascape pump that maxes out at 10000gph and is pushing water 25’ and about 3’ up through the waterfall. It isn’t even close to an overwhelming amount of flow.

Ask a Question