Fixing Large Hole In Pond Liner

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am getting rid of my skimmer this year, it was a craigslist purchase originally and it has had issue after issue. I have removed the skimmer but now I have about an 18in x 10in hold in my liner where my skimmer was. What is the best way to patch this? New EPDM + silicone + liner tape on both sides still leaks! Should I just fill dirt in behind it to raise the liner, or just replace the whole pond liner? Help!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That's the reason I had to get a new liner but my hole was caused by a rodent chewing it .I discussed this with pond digger in length and basically he told me that no patch would really hold up on a bigger hole .My hole was about 3x4 inches so really not that big .But with changes in temps and shifting soil it would not work .

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Yikes! Would suggest replacing whole liner unless you can bring in a professional repair person. If you are able to raise that area of the pond so that the liner is well above the water line the could be a workable solution. Careful thought and planning is key.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I would find a piece of hard plastic, about the same thickness as your skimmer box was and cut that to be about 3 inches bigger than your opening. Cut 2 of them and go with black if you can. get a tube of Gold Label pond and aquarium sealer. Its meant for direct contact with water and fish. You can even apply it and make it stick underwater ( I tried that and yes it does work even underwater) Get stainless steel bolts and nuts. Drill holes thru plastic plates and liner. You are going to want to run a thick bead of Gold Label around both plastic plates and the hole where old skimmer box was, put one plate on each side of hole. Put bolts thru holes you drilled and tighten bolts. Go back to pond side and cover bolts completely with Gold Label and if done right you should be leak free. I used this stuff around my skimmer box and it works great. No leaks and the stuff is really tacky right out of the tube.

Ask a Question