A floating goldie this morning

Reaction score
Just seen one of my goldfish floating dead in the pond. Sad. Looks perfectly healthy apart from the being dead thing. Looks like a youngish fish as only just turning gold but is a decent size maybe 4 or 5inch. Tested the water and zero ammonia, zero nitrite and v.low nitrate. Water crystal clear too, and all other fish look/act as they usually do. Been hot the last few days c30deg celcius 86Fah. Hopefully a spurious one-off.
20230614_132753.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sad.
From the picture it looks like there is some type of brown material on the end of his body near his tail and his gills look pretty red and is there a red spot under it's gills?

Reaction score
Sad.
From the picture it looks like there is some type of brown material on the end of his body near his tail and his gills look pretty red and is there a red spot under it's gills?
It was slightly red underneath which i thought suggested ammonia toxicity, but ammonia was zero. The brown material was just a bit of dirt on the back half, perhaps it was floating with its back end in the algae for a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You mentioned it haas been hot and I'd consider low O2, but for the red mark.....which suggest some type of bacterial infection......possibly secondary to a parasite or injury.

Also are you using test strips or drops? You said all the other fish are fine? Have you added any new fish to the pond recently ?

Reaction score
You mentioned it haas been hot and I'd consider low O2, but for the red mark.....which suggest some type of bacterial infection......possibly secondary to a parasite or injury.

Also are you using test strips or drops? You said all the other fish are fine? Have you added any new fish to the pond recently ?
No new fish. I use the liquid test kit not the paper strips.
Was a bit nervous about what to find this morning, but luckily no new casualties.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's always puzzling... sometimes, though fish just die. Could have been an issue from the start. If the other fish look and act fine, then I'd consider it a one off.

Ask a Question