Floating islands

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
Hello everyone
A few things crossed my mind tonight at dinner trying to come up with a floating island for plants. People that has read my post and new my pond knows that's its not in shade and I finally saw an idea and did some reading for the floating island to give the pond shade and also protect the fish...

I did a search on this and there's really not that much info and a few places sell something like it but they want to much money..

Has anyone done this and have pictures or give me ideas with arty foam cause now when you do this what type of plants do you use does dirt go in there no dirt cause when it comes to the flower I'm lost.

So I thought of cuting stfu foam board and may be make it like a box with sides lard moss all down and flowers I don't know please share your ideas and photos please and also winter is coming do u think I should wait till next year but I still wanna here ideas.

I also tonight real quick took a pool floater wrapped it around a flower pot to see but I think I wanna do something flat to get more flowers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Definitely wait until spring to plant a floating island, but planning and constructing are what winter is for!

I have a floating island that I purchased - just basically a foam ring covered with a fabric "bag". The fabric portion hangs about 6 inches below the water. I put some dirt in mine and plant almost anything - annuals mostly, but i also have creeping Jenny and watercress that come back every year, even though the island freezes solid over winter. The plant roots penetrate right through the fabric in search of water. Quite amazing!

People have built their own floating islands out of foam - I'm pretty sure I've read some posts here on how to construct them. They will either plant the plants directly through the foam (small holes) and let the roots dangle in the water, or make bigger holes that will hold small lightweight pots. So the choice is yours! You could do a combination - make a larger hole for a pot in the middle and then smaller plants all around it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
What kind of dirt anything won't that mess the pond up. I saw one a guy took a pool noodle made a circle and attach a panty hose on the bottom for planting which sounded like a good idea.

What kind of flowers are there that dangle and don't need dirt.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
panty hose will rot fast i use window screen and fishing line to hand sew it to the pool noodle

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you don't need to use dirt you grow them like they are hydroponics .Bare root

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Shade really helps a pond, though some Lily's like a lot of sun, 6hrs. I took shade over Lily's.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I made a lily pond so i could still have them and this way i could put plenty of fertilizer in it .Same with my stock tanks water hyacinth went crazy when i cleaned the lily pond out I through some in there

Attachments

• driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 008.JPG
    driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 008.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 311
  • pond lose or plants 2015 039.JPG
    pond lose or plants 2015 039.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 267
  • tomatos pond and landscaping 9-2015 052.JPG
    tomatos pond and landscaping 9-2015 052.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 240
  • lotus seed pond and property and eggplant  2015 025.JPG
    lotus seed pond and property and eggplant 2015 025.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 246
  • lotus seed pond and property and eggplant  2015 041.JPG
    lotus seed pond and property and eggplant 2015 041.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 242

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wish the people who were supposed to pick them up for there green house would come and pick there's up .They were supposed to be here today

Attachments

• build stuff - pond 2015 131.JPG
    build stuff - pond 2015 131.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 253
  • tanks and bulk head adapters 057.JPG
    tanks and bulk head adapters 057.JPG
    288.8 KB · Views: 262
  • tanks and bulk head adapters 059.JPG
    tanks and bulk head adapters 059.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 225
  • tanks and bulk head adapters 026.JPG
    tanks and bulk head adapters 026.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 261
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
Wow that's nice you have a lot. So what plants can I get that don't need dirt and like sun.

Thanks everyone

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
strawberries and cream is a grass ,cattails, corkscrew ,lemon grass ,creeping jenny .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
Thanks sissy love the cattails glade I joined this forum everyone and you have been a great help for me since day 1.

Now anyone of these plants don't need dirt so when I make my island just put a hole and put them in.

And koi will be ok with these plants

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks sissy love the cattails glade I joined this forum everyone and you have been a great help for me since day 1.

Now anyone of these plants don't need dirt so when I make my island just put a hole and put them in.

And koi will be ok with these plants
Have you done an internet search regarding this? You might want to do that, as well, to check out other possibilities and to see what plants will work well. It's my understanding that if the roots are exposed, koi will nibble on them. Some folks make them so that the roots don't get through the mesh, or whatever you use.

If you want lots of growth [which can easily be controled with this type of planter], you might want to try a variety of mint. Mint can be very invasive, otherwise.

And like @Lisak1 suggested, this is the time of year for planning [and experimenting with design possibilites], but wait until spring to plant anything. Let us know what you come up with as we're always looking to see what other people's ideas produce! Take lots of pictures....

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
You can get decent canopy with Water Hyacinths, they just float around sucking up bad stuff and showing pretty flowers. You can see by sissy's photo's they can cover the surface if allowed to. Usually low priced too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
but come winter you either need to save water hyacinth or buy new .I just set my plants in the floaters no holes just make the screen loose enough so it sinks into the water .Water lettuce is good also and duck weed it just floats around and fish eat it and so does fairy moss

Ask a Question