sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know it takes over my garden .Planted it 2 years ago and it keeps coming back ,but never thought it would grow in water and never thought to see if my fish like it .Have to see tomorrow, but aggie's a pig anyway ,she will eat anything

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well i gotta say that i am extremely happy with the watercress island conversion on the planter ring...got a bad bundle of watercress to start with..and in 2 weeks it went from pic #1 to pics #2 & #3

Attachments

• SANY1092.JPG
    SANY1092.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 365
  • SANY1167.JPG
    SANY1167.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 360
  • SANY1168.JPG
    SANY1168.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 332

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This is the first year I was somewhat successful in putting plants in my pond .Aggie has not touched the lilies to my surprise .I did fish out 7 dead frogs she killed .The water lettuce and hyacinth are doing slightly better than they were but not great .The strawberries and cream plant is starting to grow more .The liner is getting some coating on it and there are quite a few tadpoles in the pond cleaning up .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Koiguy I have made a version of your plant ring for my new water cress. Finally bought some yesterday and planted them last night in the plant ring. The cress was pretty shoddy looking when I bought it but figured if I didn't buy it now I'd never buy it. Hope mine grows good like yours did. Thank you for showing yours to me. I have also ordered 50 water lettuce plants from ebay. Got a pretty good deal I think. $27. for the bunch. Works out to 54 cents ea. :regular_waving_emot

IMG_1813.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thats a great deal on the lettuce...nice find!!.........oh, and your watercress looks better than mine did, you should be good to go! the mint that was right next to your watercress at the supermarket is supposed to do just as well..i'm gonna get a bundle!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nope it doesn't DrDave and every time I found it it was always wilty looking so I passed it up. This time I just caved in and bought it thinking that it would make a comeback when placed in the pond. Hoping so anyways :lol:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah, theres no roots. altho on a website they showed the bundle with roots from a supermarket, so some places must carry them with roots. i went to Meijers.look at my pics...mine was destined for the trash can more than likely...2 weeks later you'd never know it...next is the water mint. look at the light green pale color and all the yellowy dead foliage. i said what the heck and i sure am glad i did!
j.w.....keep us posted!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
We have huge asian markets here. I wonder what else might be worth trying. I always look, but not seeing roots, I passed on them. Next time I will give it a try.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh you got a good deal there koiguy, mine was $1.78 ;) and the stuff to make the ring cost me nothing........just found stuff :lol:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had ginger growing in my pond 4 years ago but always forget to look for it here .In NJ you can get it all over but down here hard to find.Rhubarb grows ok tried that but it gets out of hand .Plus it does not take well to salt in the water,found that out the hard way .It rotted fast and stinky whew

Ask a Question