sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
don't think so I mean we eat them rhubarb leaves can be cooked .Mine was growing in my filter box

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Taken from Wikipedia.........sissy how come your still alive? Guess maybe it take a lot to kill ya :rolleyes:

Toxicity
Rhubarb flower

Rhubarb leaves contain poisonous substances, including oxalic acid which is a nephrotoxic and corrosive acid that is present in many plants. The LD50 (median lethal dose) for pure oxalic acid in rats is about 375 mg/kg body weight,[17] or about 25 grams for a 65 kg (~140 lb) human. While the oxalic acid content of rhubarb leaves can vary, a typical value is about 0.5%,[18] so a rather unlikely 5 kg of the extremely sour leaves would have to be consumed to reach an LD50 of oxalic acid. Cooking the leaves with soda can make them more poisonous by producing soluble oxalates.[19] However, the leaves are believed to also contain an additional, unidentified toxin,[20] which might be an anthraquinone glycoside (also known as senna glycosides).[21]

In the petioles, the amount of oxalic acid is much lower, only about 2-2.5% of the total acidity which is dominated by malic acid.[22] This means that the raw stalks may not be hazardous, though they are generally thought to be in the US. The tart taste of raw stalks is so strong as to be unpalatable to many.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh but cooked that may change they are talking about raw .Rhubarb cooked is not as bitter as most believe

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
Taken from Wikipedia.........sissy how come your still alive? Guess maybe it take a lot to kill ya :rolleyes:

lmao jw! your trying to figure out a way to bump her off? She a tough virginia chick!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Don't want you to die sissy eating poison plants but if you happen to do so don't say I didn't warn ya..............and put in a good word for me when you get up there to Heaven
angel-fly.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh like he is going to listen to me .Not sure he would even want me LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh yes He wants everybody........the question is...........Do they want Him?

Reaction score
I bought some mint last night and put it in the crisper. I'm having trouble finding Watercress around here. I guess the folks in SW OK think it's too fancy. I'll put the mint into some modified rings tonight.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i guess its what youve got..its right next to the watercress in the produce section. you buy it in little bundles.. you could try cutiing some shoots of yours off and see if they grow roots.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is my watercress, has been in the pond for about 2 weeks now. I have it in my creeks and pond. It has some really nice roots, seems to do better in the slow moving creek than it does just floating in the pond.

Attachments

• P1020876.jpg
    P1020876.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 359
  • P1020875.jpg
    P1020875.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 376

Ask a Question